Cyclocross: Single? Double? Triple? ???

Johnsqual

Senior Retro Guru
Hello,

Since it's getting to the end of Summer, my thoughts are turning to Autumn and Winter riding.

In particular, I wat to try and get my cyclocross bike back on the go, and am thinking about some different set ups. What do you think of the following?

1) Single ring on the front, 9 speed STI on the back, with an MTB cassette, big sprocket maybe 34 teeth. Chainring either 39 or 42. Less chain suck, but is it enough range?

2) Conventional road compact, small ring 39 on the front, 28 on the back. Also less chain suck, but again is it enough range?

3) Road triple. Chain suck seems to be more of an issue, and it's the only combo I can't really build up with stuff from the man cave.

I mainly ride on some occasionally muddy trails, and not competitively. I prefer the feel of cyclocross bikes to MTBs and like the fact you can still ride efficiently on the road.

Cheers,

Johnny

I ride a cyclocross round the Peak District with a 50/34 on the front and 28 the smallest gear on the back.

It get's me up most things.

I am never a fan of a triple setup, since it tends to make noise in pretty much every gear it is in.

My current ride has a single ring up front, but to keep the chain on you really need a chain guide as the chain has a tendency to fall in now a then. It does look very nice without one though.

My advice to you would be to go for a standard double setup.

Remember, you can now get 12-36 9 speed cassettes, that should give you oodles of range in only 9 gears.
12-15-18-21-24-27-30-33-36T, costs around £25-£30.

Thanks chaps, I think I'll have a go with a double and an MTB 9 speed cassette and
RD. I need some lower gears to help me through the muddy bits...

My Cyclo-cross bike is geared 36 - 46 on the front and 12 -28 on the back, its light weight means you can climb a lot of steep stuff.

Well, you can climb a lot of steep stuff if you are good at climbing, if you see what I mean :D

I used to ride 46/34 with 14-32 6-speed block. I could ride where most people got off and pushed. Even though I was going very slow it was still quicker than dis- and re-mounting every time.

Back