Hubquest!

Martin Rattler

Retro Guru
So, my current rebuild project is based on a Mercian Superlight frame from 1976. I have collected together most of the components that I need for the initial build and now need to think about some wheels. In the shorter term I will use the wheels from last year's Pat Hanlon project, which are Chrina rims on 36 hole LF Campag Nuovo Tipo hubs, which have proved themselves to be pretty good through the summer.

I had originally thought to use Campag Record HF hubs for the Mercian, again built up with modern rims, perhaps Open Pro...but after a bit of thought I would like to consider something other than Campag as this build is turning out to be a little more eclectic than the Hanlon. I want something in keeping with the age of the frame, light and sporty and perhaps with fewer spokes than the Campag NTs, perhaps 32 or even 28 and would prefer something I can rebuild and adjust myself rather than one with sealed bearings although I could be convinced otherwise. The spacing between the rear dropouts on the Mercian is 122mm so I'll be looking for something threaded to take a 5 or 6 speed block. Has anyone got any suggestions or recommendations as to what I should be looking for?

In 1976 if you don't want campag then you have Shimano, Maillard, Plessier, Atom plus a few others......... Maillard 700's (also sold as Milremo by Ron Kit) would be a good eclectic choice :)

Shaun

Back