New to cycling - is this wheel noise normal?

phospho

Dirt Disciple
Well I recently got a new bike, and today I started to notice the wheel noise from my front wheel. It seems to be coming from the hub, if I take the wheel from the bike and spin only the axle on the hub the noise appears. The rear wheel, I'm not sure - I think that sounds normal.

I've attached a video recording both of these noises.

Is it safe to ride? Should I get a new wheel(s)? My bike shop will charge me a lot for these repairs as I'm not very experienced and I'm sure they'd take advantage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TyBuBiJ ... e=youtu.be

is anything catching the spokes? if not rebuild as see if a bearings broken, ps rear wheel looks buckled to me

I've checked all the spokes and I'm sure it's coming from the front hub. I am not sure about the rear wheel, it rides fine for me... I just want to know if it's safe to ride, as that's all I really care about at the end of the day.

is it a brand new bike? if so take it back get them to sort it, if not its hard to say if its safe without looking at it, not to good with things unless i can see it with my own eyes ect, is there play in the bearigs if you try to wobble the wheel side to side

benjy":317yk1dd said:
is it a brand new bike? if so take it back get them to sort it, if not its hard to say if its safe without looking at it, not to good with things unless i can see it with my own eyes ect, is there play in the bearigs if you try to wobble the wheel side to side
No I bought it from ebay. I contacted the seller about the front wheel hub and he told me he'd send me out a new wheel Monday, however if the back wheel has a problem also I will just return the bicycle to the seller, as I don't want any hassle.

What do you mean by "play" in the bearings?

If it is a loud intermittent clicking noise then I had the same thing with a new, but cheap, wheel that was only about 3 months old at the time. It seemed to be that the bearings were siezing up, I re greased the bearings but it didn't help for long.
In the end I rebuilt the wheel with a branded spare hub I had in stock.

Greasing bearings should be a fine job for a novice, just have a look at the instructional vids on YouTube. I wouldn't attempt wheel building until you are more experienced and confident. Unless you have very fancy wheels, it will probably be cheaper to replace than get a rebuild done.

Your current wheel might carry on running noisily for some time to come, the main danger is that it might seize up unexpectedly, or wear very rapidly and work loose.

Here's your homework for the weekend :) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNzN9oTQA8s

PurleySquire":2sa3kmyy said:
If it is a loud intermittent clicking noise then I had the same thing with a new, but cheap, wheel that was only about 3 months old at the time. It seemed to be that the bearings were siezing up, I re greased the bearings but it didn't help for long.
In the end I rebuilt the wheel with a branded spare hub I had in stock.

Greasing bearings should be a fine job for a novice, just have a look at the instructional vids on YouTube. I wouldn't attempt wheel building until you are more experienced and confident. Unless you have very fancy wheels, it will probably be cheaper to replace than get a rebuild done.

Your current wheel might carry on running noisily for some time to come, the main danger is that it might seize up unexpectedly, or wear very rapidly and work loose.
Thanks,

is this for both wheels or the front?

This applies to both wheels, watch the video! :D it explains everything you need to know. You might also want to seek out your local RetroBikers from this forum, we're a pretty friendly bunch and keen to help.

Back