New here, need help...

craigsheff

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys, first time on the site.

I purchased a Barry Hoban bike from ebay a month or so ago and I'm wanting to replace the tyres. Basically I'm new to riding a road bike and I know very little about bikes to be honest So I took my bike to Decathlon for advice on some new tyres, anyway the guy sold me some that didn't fit so i returned them and another guy in there told me to order some 28s online... which I did and they also didn't fit. Anyway I went to an old cycle shop and the guy said I need 27 1/4 tyres but he hadn't got any I wanted in. I don't Want to make the mistake of ordering the wrong ones again so I wanted to double check with you guys.

Here is what it says on my rims..
FRH36Kf.jpg

Here is my bike..
f7f5b238fade11e2a93822000ae9025c_7.jpg

would any 27 1/4 tyres fit mine? like these ones
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/27-x-1-1-4-tyres

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for the reply, I hadn't considered the tubes would be harder to get so thanks for that. I was thinking i'd be able to pop to any local bike shop for the tubes.

I'm looking for the tyres with white walls so if anyone knows anywhere I could get some that would be great.

FINNEY1973":pfzm4sqg said:
Although not hugely difficult to source, only the better bike shops are likely to stock the old stuff or imperial sizes. The newer bike shops will just look at you funny!

You'd best get used to that funny look too, as to them you are officially in Granddad territory. :D

FINNEY1973":26he8c0b said:
Although not hugely difficult to source, only the better bike shops are likely to stock the old stuff or imperial sizes. The newer bike shops will just look at you funny!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-2-27-X-1 ... 5af49789b1

White walls as you asked...

Thank you! I've ordered them. Really cheap those too.

You'd think even the big new bike shops would stock this stuff now, these kind of bikes are really popular right now. Thanks everyone that commented.

Another thing (not worth its own thread) How hard is it going to be if I decide to spray my frame? Have any of you guys done it?

bugloss":1pljx0q1 said:
FINNEY1973":1pljx0q1 said:

You'd best get used to that funny look too, as to them you are officially in Granddad territory. :D

My LBS are always taking the pi$$ - I turn up on steel and they're just servicing a Pinarello Dogma or some extravagant MTB. I went in today - must be 50 bikes in for work and only 2 had lugs! And one of them belongs to an employee!

craigsheff":mmwcrqce said:
FINNEY1973":mmwcrqce said:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-2-27-X-1 ... 5af49789b1

White walls as you asked...

Thank you! I've ordered them. Really cheap those too.

You'd think even the big new bike shops would stock this stuff now, these kind of bikes are really popular right now. Thanks everyone that commented.

Another thing (not worth its own thread) How hard is it going to be if I decide to spray my frame? Have any of you guys done it?

Spraypainting - I've done it once and once only - cost's more than you think both in monies & time. Complete hassle if you ask me but you won't know until you try it - depends on the finish your after? I should of just paid my monies and had it done properly. see here... viewtopic.php?f=23&t=263401&start=0

End product is o.k. and o.k only - the lacquer dried to quickly and has a crackled effect in places. Depends on the value of your frame and what your going to do with it - cheapest option is to just get it powdercoated although i'm not a fan personally. Otherwise it's daft $ to a pro-painter. Doesn't look like your frame is in that poor a state?

Nice looking bike, I am in the 27 x 1 1/4 club, I get the strange looks when I go into some LBS's when you ask for a 27" etc, there are a few older guys though that admire your bike when they see it :cool:

Back