Are all reynolds 531 bikes light? solved

phospho

Dirt Disciple
I'm thinking of buying this:

"Peugeot optimum lightweight 14 speed men's road bike, Reynolds 531 frame and fork tubing,indexed 14 speed shimano exage front and rear derailleurs, alloy shimano crankset with bio space rings, 21 and a half inch frame size, paintwork is a little scruffy,has some silver paint on parts of the frame,doesn't affect running of the bike,Wolverhampton alloy wheels,atax stem with alloy racing bars,exage brake levers with black weinmann 500 brake calipers"

that is all the description I can get on the bike,
I want to use it for commuting and I'm just wondering how light would this bike be exactly? Thanks.

Re: Are all reynolds 531 bikes light?

I have a Raleigh Clubman with a 531 frame, its weight according to the Catalogue is 27.5lbs, its not super light. I have removed things like mudguards, pump, fitted lighter tyres and it has made it much more nimble.

I would have though going by the description this would be slightly lighter but with some simple mods its possible to reduce weight pretty easily.

Hmm, there are no mudguards or anything like that, what else can I do

531 is ok for weight,but not light by todays standards.but there is more to a bike than the weight.a well fabricated and good fitting bike will ride better than a ill fitting light one

phospho":7mlyabop said:
Hmm, there are no mudguards or anything like that, what else can I do

I am by no means an expert, I am sure there will be plenty of members who will be able to help with weight saving, but the wheels and tyres would be my first guess.

I would be interested in peoples opinions also :)

Mine was originally around 12.4kgs, now must be around 12kgs.

I would guess this would be sub 12 but not 11kgs, that's the weight of a modern aluminium £600 roadbike.

They are comfy though :cool:

My Emperor TT bike has what I imagine is a pretty average 23" 531 Frame and Forks and currently comes in at 19.6 lbs, but it does have pretty much the lightest set of kit available in the mid 70's....

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=263892

I'm sure there must be modern kit that is as light or even lighter, but I can't imagine it comes cheaply?

Steve.

Really? I went to a bike shop and saw a trek cRomoly frame which was 11kg

Back