1" carbon steerer - 1" traditional stem

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
Anyone attempted this or is it a complete no-no?

Standard 1" carbon forks to replace some that I don't trust (believed to be a repaired steerer).

I'm wondering if I can install the original stem (Giant EXT Pro) into the forks rather than go for the usual A-Head stem.

The EXT Pro has a lip so I could install a spacer between headset & stem so it would look fine.

Question is does the pressure of the expander bolt on the stem cause an issue (in much the same way pressure from externally mounted bolts from an A-Head stem) on carbon and what about the contact point - will the stem grip properly from inside the steerer?

I'm assuming that this has probably been tried and given a wide berth - i'm simply trying to keep the bike as original as possible and i'm not liking the look of an A-Head stem on this particular bike - looks a bit stupid.

Any advice / experience / general thoughts or considerations gladly welcomed

You would need to thread the top of the steerer, which would not be possible - otherwise how would you tension up the headset?

The steerer won't be designed for an internal load, personally I wouldn't try it.

While I have been preloading ahead headsets with a C clamp when lacking an appropriate expander plug, I would not feel safe riding a quill stem in a carbon steerer. Maybe try to find another fork?

Cheers guys - new headset required for the revised forks - this was my gut feeling as well that it was an implausible soultion else other people would have tried it with success by now.

I'll just have to go with an A-Head stem - oh well, I have always fancied a Cinelli Alter stem :)

Back