Raleigh Suntour Freewheel query

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
I have a Raleigh Clubman 1985 with a Suntour Ultra 6 13/24 freewheel that screws on, I want to replace it for one with a 28 tooth climbing gear to tackle the hills of Dorset as I am struggling with the 24.

I know other bikes in the Raleigh range about this time had one such as the Record Ace 12, am I right in assuming they are compatible although saying that they have different hubs according to the Raleigh Catalogue.

The other but more costly option is to change the rear wheel for a more modern 700c one, but that would mean a new wheel, tyre, tube and I assume a new rear brake with a lower drop ?

:? :?

BITD the Suntour Ultra 6 and 7 speed range had special thin chains and cogs, to fit into a 126mm rear end. They did spares so someone might have one kicking around...... Not sure what they had morphed into by 1985 though.

Shaun

widowmaker":3p98n1rr said:
I have a Raleigh Clubman 1985 with a Suntour Ultra 6 13/24 freewheel that screws on, I want to replace it for one with a 28 tooth climbing gear to tackle the hills of Dorset as I am struggling with the 24.

I know other bikes in the Raleigh range about this time had one such as the Record Ace 12, am I right in assuming they are compatible although saying that they have different hubs according to the Raleigh Catalogue.

The other but more costly option is to change the rear wheel for a more modern 700c one, but that would mean a new wheel, tyre, tube and I assume a new rear brake with a lower drop ?

There should be no problem as far as the hub goes if you stick with an Ultra-6 freewheel (or other "compact spaced" 6 speed) which you should be able to get on eBay or from someone like Hilary Stone with a little patience. The issue might be the rear mech and whether it will handle a 28T cog.

Mark.

daccordimark":38q7q5bu said:
widowmaker":38q7q5bu said:

There should be no problem as far as the hub goes if you stick with an Ultra-6 freewheel (or other "compact spaced" 6 speed) which you should be able to get on eBay or from someone like Hilary Stone with a little patience. The issue might be the rear mech and whether it will handle a 28T cog.

Mark.

Thanks for that, ill have a check on ebay :D

My rear mech is an early Shimano 105 - not the original Suntour ARX

Latest posts

Back