Weinmann 570 brakes - and blocks

DrewSavage

Retro Guru
Hello... it's another appeal for advice from someone who doesn't know what he's doing and is trying to learn.

I thought that replacing the brake blocks on the Peugeot Triathlon that I recently bought off eBay might be a clever thing to do, as it looks like the brake blocks on it might have actually been original equipment.

As I've only ever had bikes with basic brakes before, I've encountered something new - a sort of assembly that holds the brake block in with a 'v' device. The simple kind of sidepull brakes i've had before just have a brake block assembly bolted to them and that's that.

I've taken a few photos of it... and the blocks that I bought as a replacement from my local bike shop, the brilliantly-named Ken Foster's Cycle Logic.

But I didn't have the bike with me at that point, so I just said I needed blocks for Weinmann brakes and the last photo is what they sold me.

How important is that 'v' assembly? Should I take those blocks back, and look for some that are a size that would fit into it?

Many thanks in advice,
Drew

Attachments

• Brakes 1.JPG
    Brakes 1.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,649
  • Brakes 2.jpeg
    Brakes 2.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,648
  • Brakes 1.JPG
    Brakes 1.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,648
  • Brakes 3.jpeg
    Brakes 3.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,649
  • Brakes 4.jpeg
    Brakes 4.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,649
I doubt if it is necessary at all. I think it is just a wheel guide to 'help' refitting the wheel. Several brake manufacturers started fitting them as a copy of the original Campagnolo design. Unless you're an absolute numpty who can't refit a wheel into a bike without mechanical assistance of dubious worth then forget them.

As Old Ned says, they are wheel guides. cheaper brakes like weinmann had them attached to the blocks. My Shimano brakes have grooves milled into the calipers to hold them.

BITD I used to sit on a moving car window behind the bunch, wheels ready, set to leap out and swap a punctured wheel as fast as possible.............might have been helpful then but more a fashion statement otherwise :D

Shaun

Thanks chaps. How are Weinmann brakes viewed, usually? When I was a kid they were usually on fairly low-end bikes but the Peugeot that these are on is an otherwise decent machine, and I'm guessing that some Weinmann brakes will be better than others.

They're pretty much "the" brakes. More expensive ones from the time period won't stop you any better, they just cost more. It's really all about setting them up properly and using good blocks.

Popular enough that Raleigh sell knockoffs even today, but they're such a low quality copy they tend to disintegrate when you tighten them.

The problem with Weinmann Brakes was the length of the arms to which the cables were attached. They were quite short so they had reduced mechanical advantage......

BITD in the 70's a set of campag brakes were £49.99 and we sold Weinmann for 8 quid :)

Shaun

Did I read elsewhere that the numbers on Weinmann brakes refer to the length of the arms? i.e. Weinmann 570 will be 5.7cm long, 600 6cm etc? And presuming the longer the arms, the better?

When it comes to retro brakes, is there anything else out there apart from Shimano or Campag? Are there any defunct brands worth watching out for that are reasonable quality but don't carry the same premium?

I have Weinmann Centrepull brakes on my Raleigh, I have changed the pads for a modern compound and find them to be pretty damn good considering they are nearly 30 years old :)

And all they need is a little dab of oil now and again, no adjustments needed :cool:

Back