new wheels old drop outs,derailleur wont move full up casset

glynno

Retro Newbie
hi people,new to this old cycle stuff but luvin it:need teck help just put a new wheels in my sun gt racer, (oldsize drop outs)fitted og cassete to new wheel, spread reer drop outs to fit wheel,but derailler will not move fully up,no more movement,can i space the cassete out? or reduce the small spacer between cone and lock nut? have adjusted h&l screws no joy,any help be great tar..

Re: new wheels old drop outs,derailleur wont move full up ca

Welcome

Travel for the rear mech likely only for a 5-6 speed freewheel and not for a much wider modern cassette / freehub.

Any pics?

Thank you for the quick reply! Attached some photos, any suggestions would be great. Tar!

Attachments

• IMAG0310P_a.jpg
    IMAG0310P_a.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 507
  • IMAG0309_a.jpg
    IMAG0309_a.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 507

glynno":1tmz9pb9 said:
...have adjusted h&l screws no joy,any help be great tar..

Is the cable adjusted enough to pull the derailleur far enough?

The problem is that massive spacer on the right side of your rear hub axel. The freewheel would normally be about a centimeter or less from the right drop, yours appears to be well over 2cm out. What is the rear spacing on this frame?

cable is adjusted fully,derailleur is on its stops(even filled a bit off) for max movement.Dropout measures 124mm,new wheel hub lock nut to lock nut 135mm..It measures 18mm from small sproket edge, to edge of locknut where it hits dropout.was thinking of reducing spacer bush,as i want to keep it as og as poss the bike is in vgood condition all is as it was in 1978 (cool) any help much appreciated tar

What lewisfoto said. If your dropouts measure 124mm then respace the wheel down so that it is pretty much the same. Generally the smallest sprockets is just millimeters away from the drop out, I could park my front wheel in that space there!

your spot on,learning stuff all the time,sometimes you just dont see the wood for the trees or( wheels) ok tar pretty much what i thought,if i get spacer reduced on sprocket side will the wheel be off centre?

We're here to help :)

Yes it could well be, Ideally you'll remove 5mm from either side but it does look as though there is a lot to be removed from just the drive side....

Problem will be if you remove spacers then the axle will be too long...........the axle will stick outside the dropouts and the QR wont work properly.

Is there a name on the new hub you have?

Shaun

Back