Freehub Help

ISC23

Dirt Disciple
Hi, long time no post.

I'm just investigating a different commuter for the winter and wanted to use some old wheels that i have knocking around. I didn't set them up so am not sure of the details. I was running what look like campagnolo chorus 8 speed hubs, ambrosio rims, but with a new 8 speed miche cassette.

Will the same freehub accept modern 10 speed campag cassette? I'm guessing not, (have been on the net hunting about and its looking doubtful), but the only possible thing that made me think it might is the new cassette that was on it...

If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.

Cheers

Iain

In honesty I'm not sure, but would be interested to hear from someone that does, but what you probably can do is butcher a 10 speed cassette (!) for the spacers and create a hybrid cassette that will work....

8 speed uses shallower splines than 9 speed, but has a steel freehub body. When Campag went to 9 speed, they switched to deeper splines and an aluminium body. 8 speed cogs fit onto the 9/10 body, but chew their way into it pretty rapidly.

The deeper splines mean that 9 and 10 speed sprockets do not fit onto an 8 speed body. However, all is not lost, you can fit a later body onto older hubs. Some later bodies do not fit, I'm not exactly what years work. Mercian used to have the parts, probably still do so contact them.

Back