To widen or not to widen?

darrylm

Retro Newbie
Hi all, I'm hoping for a bit of advice. This has probably been covered many times and I apologize if it has. I have been given a Raleigh Record Sprint, she's in fairly good condition, just in need of some tlc! (left in the garden for three years...) Its only a 12 speed and was thinking of getting an 8 speed cassette and some new wheels, to keep up with my riding buddies. Obviously the drop out spacing is 126mm and would need at least 130 to get the set up that I want. I read an article on Sheldon Browns site about widening the rear drop outs and wondered if anyone has tried it? Or would I be better taking it to my lbs and getting them to do it for me? I'm completely new to this and want to be sure before I go and ruin the bike!

If you've read sheldons site you probably know they call this cold setting.however, going from 126 to130 will make little difference to your frame,its only +2mm each side and the steel will easily pull apart to accommodate a 130mm hub.

Unless it's a short stiff frame you can do that with your thumbs when you put the wheel in.......

Shaun

Thanks for that, It seems quite simple, but having never done it before, just wanted a bit of advice from someone who knows what they're doing!

No problem, I ran 9 speed on my '80s Banana (18-23 type) with no issues at all. Just a bit of a squeeze getting the rear wheel out!

darrylm":k3rj1y2s said:
Thanks for that, It seems quite simple, but having never done it before, just wanted a bit of advice from someone who knows what they're doing!
Like the others said, there's so much flex in the frame that you'll barely notice pulling it open 4mm.

I put a 126 in a 110 spacing once - that was a real wrestle and the derailleur is slightly out of alignment as a result, but 130 into a 126 won't make any difference.

Back