What 70's saddle?

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I know I have had this discussion with Midlife, but I'm derned if I can find it, so.....

I am slowly gathering parts for a late 1970's clubman's bike that I will be building over the winter for use next year, and, with any luck participation in L'Eroica UK (if it happens).

So, the next part I'm after is a saddle; other than a Unicator or a Brooks B17, what saddles were being used back in the late 70's?

Ideale leather, harder to find than a Brooks but much nicer. A new Brooks can spoil a build (check my Colnago Mexico link below)

I am avoiding fitting anything new to the bike, other than the obvious chain and brake blocks, so the more names to search for, the better.

Back in the 70's if you didn't want a Brooks then one of the Cinelli Unicanitor suede saddles was the obvious choice. However,for a slab of plastic and some suede they were a tad expensive so a Unicanitor lookalike was the order of the day....Selle Italia Criterium, Selle Royal S17 and copies from Milremo were very popular. As long as they looked like a Cinelli all was well :D

Selle Italia were well made for the money BITD.

Shaun

Arius saddles are another alternative, made in Spain.

They had some models that were drilled all the way through, very cool looking.

Johnny

Fantastic info thanks.

Shaun, as ever, you are an en-cyclo-pedia of roadie retroness. :mrgreen:

Ideale 70 on my 1970 replcia caballero teambike.
Ones you handle with care each month with a good leather cream to be dried in the sun it keeps fit.
2na4u0x.jpg

lb7me.jpg

Back