Does anyone know what I've bought? (a Cinelli of some kind)

DrewSavage

Retro Guru
I saw it on eBay and pressed the 'place bid' button... hopefully this will turn out to be something I didn't do in haste and will regret later. I have to cure myself of this kind of thing. The whole point of retro bikes is that they're affordable, but not if I'm buying them at the rate of one a fortnight.

Attachments

• cinelli.JPG
    cinelli.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,120
  • cinelli.JPG
    cinelli.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,120
Re: Does anyone know what I've bought? (a Cinelli of some ki

Back end doesn't look very Cinelli-ish. Pics a bit small on my lappy though......

Shaun

Well is is not a Speciale Corsa, as Shaun noted, because the seat stays are wrong. Definitely looks like a re-spray as the decals are similar to current models. In the 80s there was a line of Cinelli made bikes that were decaled as Centurions also Cinelli had some mid range models. At any rate depending on what you paid it could be worth it for the Nuovo Record bits

Midlife":175ntsqo said:
Back end doesn't look very Cinelli-ish. Pics a bit small on my lappy though......

Shaun

Thanks Shaun. That sounds a little ominous. You think it might really be something else and not a genuine Cinelli?

The ad just said "VINTAGE CINELLI RACING BIKE IN GOOD CONDITION ,CAMPAGNOLO GEARS READY FOR THE ROAD. 24 inch"

I've tried to get more information about the groupset and any info that might suggest what model it is - the reply was "hi there at the bottom of the frame with the number it says cinelli, the seat is light concor selle san marco .campagnolo 56 tooth 42 teeth ali rims on wheel and seat stem q d wheels pelissier hope that helps thanks"

When I asked about the frame number or if the Campy bits said what kind they were, he said that there was a frame number but he couldn't read it, they're oaps...

lewisfoto":128qbr8g said:
Well is is not a Speciale Corsa, as Shaun noted, because the seat stays are wrong. Definitely looks like a re-spray as the decals are similar to current models. In the 80s there was a line of Cinelli made bikes that were decaled as Centurions also Cinelli had some mid range models. At any rate depending on what you paid it could be worth it for the Nuovo Record bits

Thanks lewisfoto - can you tell that they're Nuovo Record bits just from the photo? My eyes - and knowledge - aren't up to it...

The rear mech is Nuovo Record for sure, the post and the cranks may be NR as well but there were several companies that "copied" Campagnolo. Brakes look like Modolo, headset could be Mavic...

If it says Cinelli 'at the bottom of the frame' then it could be built with a Cinelli bottom bracket shell - which all sorts of builders used. It doesn't 'look' Cinelli, mainly because of the seat cluster, but it could still be a decent frame. As you say, the frame transfers look to modern.

Decent fittings on it though, as already stated above by others.

Headset is stronglight delta. My favourite headset :)

Brakes look like Gran Sport so might rest of kit might be too but if he says r/mech is NR then so be it, this does effect value slightly. Though to be honest it all looks a mix. I hope it turns out to be a belter but it was a risk. Tell us you didn't pay more than £100 for it.

Old Ned":2zrkisx2 said:
If it says Cinelli 'at the bottom of the frame' then it could be built with a Cinelli bottom bracket shell - which all sorts of builders used. It doesn't 'look' Cinelli, mainly because of the seat cluster, but it could still be a decent frame. As you say, the frame transfers look to modern.

Decent fittings on it though, as already stated above by others.

I agree it could be a "bitza bike" albeit quite a nice one with some original period components but I think it would be more attractive if you replaced the pedals and bars (very hipster style!) the jury is out on whether it's a genuine Cinelli but you could try the Cinelli Register to check frame numbers
<< http://www.cinelliregistry.org/ >>
good luck with your search

Back