Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:29 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:33 am 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

Those pedals would be fine in my opinion (those have been around for years and certainly the right design for the era).

Yes I have some cinelli bars I need to have a big handlebar sort out so keep a look out!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:57 pm 
Old School Hero

Excellent. Thanks Tel. I think the only other thing I may upgrade is the brakes, as they're fairly bog standard Weinmanns. I feel I probably ought to stick with European components as the rest of the bike is all European. Is there anything out there, beyond Campagnolo?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:58 pm 
Old School Hero

Flandria wrote:
DrewSavage wrote:
Thank you! Short of being able to successfully deduce the frame builder, which is a bit of a big ask, if anyone could manage to identify what kind of Shimano the front mech is, or has an opinion on Pellissier P3003 hubs, that would be great.

I'm assuming that nothing short of Cinelli handlebars will suffice to replace what's on there now, and I was wondering about something appropriate to replace the Weinmann brakes with? That's where it'd help to know if it's likely to be an Italian-made frame or not...

Front derailleur looks like a Shimano 105 golden Arrow to me: http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.a ... a&Enum=113

Thank you, that's spot on!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:40 pm 

That's a Dave Marsh frame.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:27 pm 
Old School Hero

That's fantastic! Or is it?

As I got the bike in Scunthorpe and I just googled Dave and apparently he's based in Maltby in South Yorks then that does seem possible.

How can you tell? And do you have any idea what the tubing's likely to be etc?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:49 am 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

Beyond Campagnolo you could use Modolo or Spidel (Mafac).

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:28 pm 
Old School Hero

I ended up with a set of Gipiemme Crono Sprint brakes, which I need to fit. Do you think they're in keeping? They look a lot nicer than the Weinmanns, if nothing else.

Get those on, and replace the silly hipster handlebars with a Cinelli set that I bought, and it's back on the road. That does entail me learning how to tape a set of handlebars, mind you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:15 pm 
Old School Hero

Also, on the basis of what Newbie said earlier on this thread, I had the bright idea of ringing up Dave Marsh's shop in South Yorks and emailing some pictures over to find out if it's one of his. Spoke to a very helpful lady called Catherine, so I'm waiting for them to get back to me.

What lots of people who've seen it seem to agree on, is that it's a lovely frame, whoever made it.

But I'd really love to know what it is - partly, unfortunately, because I'm going to have to sell it. And it'd be easier to do that if I knew what it was.

Sadly, no matter how much I pretend otherwise, it's too big for me, I'm only 5'8" and it's a 60cm/23.5 inch frame - and my friend who was letting me store it needs her garage back. So I think it's going to have to go, to find other projects...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:07 pm 
Old School Grand Master

.......did you spot it had no chainstay bridge?

Shaun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:44 pm 
Old School Hero

No - I'm the first to admit, I'm no expert. Are you mentioning it in the context of working out what the frame is and where it might have come from, or do you think it's a good or bad thing that it hasn't got one?

I've just done some quick reading on the subject of chainstay bridges and it seems opinion is rather split on the matter of what they do, whether they are necessary and what their effect actually is.

This one I found quite interesting:
http://waltworks.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10 ... r.html?m=1

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next