Hood or no hood?

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Evenin all,

I am pondering my next build and having posted about bat tape etc recently, i noticed a few brake levers without hoods.

I have a few sets of levers and no hoods (and i am not talking about the 600ax stuff!) - what is the concensus about using levers withour hoods?

I am particulary talking about Weinmann levers which may be known as 'Red Dot' or something similar.

Thanks all,

Richard

p.s for those who have not seen it - look at the Rossin Lo-Pro build in Readers Bikes - Droooooooooooooolllllllllllll...................

I would say that if you want a proper complete build, you'll only be happy if you get some hoods.
It's the sort of thing that, no matter how much you tell yourself it doesn't matter, it will still not feel like a finished build without them. Of course, for riding, it only makes a small difference to comfort, and none really to braking performance, but such rational considerations are had to listen to.

I think there are some Dia Compe hoods out there that will fit Weinmann levers, though:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Style-W ... 565972453f

Good luck,

Johnny

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hoods for me - riding a bike without hoods feels like my first five speed "racer". My top tip for buying hoods is buy levers with hoods, and sell the levers on. In my case - wanting white campag record hoods, the prices for hoods alone were crazy...

Thanks for the advice, it confirms what i thought, but, as always, i like to check these details.

Richard

It is uncomfortable without hoods but it does depend on the build older bikes (mid 70's and before) suit no hoods. When you wrap the bars you can figure of 8 around the levers and apply some tape around the lever body. Which I cannot find one picture of....

No hoods fitted on a TT was a must not have item because it saved weight and saved you at least 0.0000000001 of a second
on a ten mile TT so if speed is the key Richard then its no hoods........................

Ian Raleigh":1lpx5xql said:
No hoods fitted on a TT was a must not have item because it saved weight and saved you at least 0.0000000001 of a second
on a ten mile TT so if speed is the key Richard then its no hoods........................

Plus there would have been insane drag from the soft rubbery surface of those hoods which might have even slowed you down 0.0000000002 seconds.

lewisfoto":3j3x7a6b said:
Plus there would have been insane drag from the soft rubbery surface of those hoods which might have even slowed you down 0.0000000002 seconds.
This is wrong! I timed a bike with hoods fitted and it was 0.000000000.2.000 of a second :shock:

Does that timing even exist :facepalm: :LOL:

Ian and Steven,

Speed it not an issue but weight is!!!!!!!!!! Mostly mine!!!!

Thanks,

Richard

Latest posts

Back