Shed some light on my frame? A Crown Comet, made in England

djoptix

Senior Retro Guru
Anyone know anything about this?

I picked it up recently planning to restore it for a bit of a hack, but having stripped it down, I'm not sure. It might be a bit small for me. More to the point, it seems really really nice. I might put it up for sale in the hope that someone will have it powdercoated/painted and give it some love.

* Made in England by Crown Cycles (whoever they were?)
* 531 throughout, by the looks of things - the remains of a Reynolds sticker on the frame, and a stamp on the steerer tube.
* Lovely lugs.
* Horizontal dropouts and a rear mech hanger
* Kit that was on it dates it to mid/late 70s (1977 Suntour Honor rear mech, Shimano Uniglide 500 front mech, Brooks B1:cool:

IMGP5736_zpsae63dd89.jpg

IMGP5737_zps7a98672b.jpg

IMGP5740_zps7d1d67d5.jpg

IMGP5739_zpsc60e9281.jpg

IMGP5738_zps03fdf3ea.jpg

Re: Shed some light on my frame? A Crown Comet, made in Engl

great lugs indeed. what a head badge! the decals don't seem to keep up with the lugs... kind of plain . still got to be a great find ! a tourer ?

Capella lugs and very like an early 60's Carlton. Without the Crown decals that's what I would have guessed it was.

I've not come across Crown but there could well be a Carlton connection.

Looks for all the world like a Carlton to me which has been re-finished and the Crown decals applied......

Is there a number on the frame anywhere?

Shaun

oonaff":zjxdetix said:
great lugs indeed. what a head badge! the decals don't seem to keep up with the lugs... kind of plain . still got to be a great find ! a tourer ?

It has mounts for mudguards, but no bottle cage bosses or rack mounts, so more of a winter trainer I reckon.

I've found another one, a 60s version, on someone's site... it's for sale... for £160 :shock:

The 60s decals are a bit fancier though!

FR016-8.jpg

Midlife":28w1014i said:
Looks for all the world like a Carlton to me which has been re-finished and the Crown decals applied......

The BB shell has taken some tough love over the years, but I can just make out the numbers "33125" on it.

djoptix":3849bhuq said:
Midlife":3849bhuq said:

The BB shell has taken some tough love over the years, but I can just make out the numbers "33125" on it.

Any numbers on one of the rear drop outs?

Or, any signs of drill holes in the headtube? A Carlton would have had a metal headbadge with two drillings.

Thinking about it, wasn't this kind of burnt orange a Carlton colour as well?

Robbied196":g66nppad said:
Any numbers on one of the rear drop outs?

Or, any signs of drill holes in the headtube? A Carlton would have had a metal headbadge with two drillings.

No to both, how inconclusive eh... there are no holes in the headtube (I can look down it obviously, so that's a definite no) and there isn't anything on the dropouts. I suppose there is a small chance that a dropout stamp (if small) could have worn off over the years, but to be honest I don't think there was ever anything there.

Unfortunately, 9 out of 10 times most ID's are inconclusive. There doesn't seem to be any info on the net about a Crown Cycle Company which would be unusual. Even the most rare builders usually have something come up. That makes me wonder about the decals.

I thought I recognised the colour, I had an orange carlton! You can see the obvious similarities....

Attachments

• P1000326.JPG
    P1000326.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,015
  • P1000320.JPG
    P1000320.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,016
Back