Help extending steerer please. . .

Yellow_Peril

Old School Hero
Hi folks
My Raleigh 3 speed commuter has a fork made out of lead-filled girders I think and transfers vibration up in to my hands like a good'un!

I have a lovely Bianchi steel fork but the steerer is too short to just swap over. Is any one on here an engineer/bike mechanic capable of getting the steerer off the heavy fork and stick it on the new one, or extend the Bianchi one?

In honesty I'm trying to avoid custom bike repair costs here! Hoping to have it done for beer money, but I think I may have to send it to a frame builder.

Many thanks!
Jon

Jon,

This could be done, both DIY or professionally, but I wouldn't trust a DIY job and I imagine it would be a lot cheaper to just source a new pair of forks than pay to get it done professionally.

If you cannot get a pair with the exact length steerer that you need, just get a pair with a longer steerer (ensuring there is enough thread) and cut it down yourself. Make sure that you screw the headset locknut all the way down the thread first and then once you've cut off the excess, removing the locknut will re-cut the thread.

Steve.

Cheers Steve. The fork I'd like to stick on is a really light (Columbus maybe) and would go a treat on the bike. A new 1" threaded fork with a huge steerer is proving trick to find. The bike is a beast!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 417
Take the thing (not the bike) to your local engineering/machining shop. They should have the gear to easily do that.

Good plan! Would you suggest having the old steerer removed and placed on the new forks, or an extention added to the new fork steerer? If a new fork, is the steerer welded or brazed?
Cheers for replying!
Jon

Frame looks like it has brazed on bottle holders so isn't a complete gas pipe job.........

Forks are one of the things that get me a bit twitchy, lots of things cabn go wrong on a bike and all it does is grind to a halt. The forks failing is possibly a face on the tarmac job, and it looks like you have quite a way to fall. It shouldn't be an expensive job to get the sterrer modified by a real framebuilder.

Doesn't have to be a large business, a single handed person like Kevin Winter could do it :)

All IMHO

Shaun

They would weld it as It would be stronger, but I don't know what the original one is, that's probably brazed to the crown.
I have read about someone else doing the same thing, I'll try to find it.

As Shaun says, make sure they are a good quality shop not a local garage.

Latest posts

Back