It begins. Again.

Chopper the ex Copper

Alpinestars Fan
Work has resumed my 78 Elswick Chinook. It's a pleasant enough frame, but of little monetary value so not worth the expense of a wet repaint in original colours, new decals etc.

So, as it's a 1978 bike made in Britain, I thought I'd pay homage to the JPS Lotus F1 team who won the championship that year with black gloss power coat and gold JPS Lotus decals.

I'm sticking with the original chainset which was quite clean. The Huret rear mech was trashed so is being replaced with a light action Shimano job, which isn't quite period but is styled sympathetically to that era. Not sure what front mech to use yet, and I'll probably go stem mounted with the shifters.

Front wheel is a wide flanged French job, and the rear is a Sturmey with a flip flop hub. NOS freehub and chain are already waiting.

Weinmann centre pulls with GT type levers will take care of the anchors. The original headset looks nice and is in excellent order, so will remain albeit with new bearings.

Alloy micro adjust seat post is modern but looks discrete, as does the black Velo saddle. SPDs will be the only concession to modernity.

Not sure what handlebars yet but ITM drop a are de rigeur for a budget build and look smart, so keeping my eyes peeled.

Frame dropped off at the powder coaters. Should be ready next week some time. Progress pics as and when it returns and the rebuild begins.

Just had an SMS from a friend - he's located some drop handlebars I can have. Gonna pick them up later and drop them off for powder coating black as well.

Chopper1192":39ce6hxo said:
Just had an SMS from a friend - he's located some drop handlebars I can have. Gonna pick them up later and drop them off for powder coating black as well.

Will they fit the stem after powdering?

Back