What length BB?

Rustyretro

Devout Dirtbag
What length spindle do I need for a Campag Super Record Strada double chainset? I fitted a 112mm campag thinking this was right and the chainring catches the chain stay. (I've got the spindle the right way round). It's going on a Raleigh SBDU. Sheldon Brown doesn't say, so I'm sure some of you guys will know.
Thanks in advance.

It depends on a few factors, the shorter the chainstay the greater the angle and the longer BB axle you need..........usually a problem on TT bikes when you tried to fit a double !

Also the more upmarket frames had less of a "dent" in the chainstay so you had to use a longer axle.

To sum up, for a bog standard off the shelf frame with normal clearences and a good dent in the chainstay then 112-113 mm was normal..............after that it was a bit of trail and error. Later campag chainsets seemed to sit nearer the frame, wether that was just me or wether it was true not sure. Have you got any room for a spacer?

Shaun

Midlife":10f5q0pq said:
Have you got any room for a spacer?

Shaun
There's only a small dent in the chainstay and the stays are quite short with tight wheel clearance. I've just got enough room for a spacer I think, as the BB is 67mm, so I might give that a try. Otherwise it may be some trial and error. I think it's probably going to be near 115mm that I need

What year is the frame ? late 70's

If push came to shove we filed off the inside of the crank arms and filed down the chainwheel bolts to sit the inner ring closer to the outer ring........not ideal though :(

If memory serves (not at this time of night, and I think I mentioned it in my last post) the later campag cranks fitted closer to the frame and some needed a 115 axle......

Shaun

I'm 99% sure that the 1st generation Campag Super Record english BB axel was 112mm & the 2nd Generation Campag Super Record english BB axel was 115mm.

I had axle issues recently and it was a matter of trying various lengths until i got one to suit. SJS can supply axles and they are not expensive and your LBS may also be able to help too. You could 'dummy up' with someting cheap to get the length and then buy a good one.

I should add - it was a nightmare for me and i hope yours goes more easily - i ended up with a ridiculously long DS to fit.

Richard

Back