Info on Paul Milnes 531C - where's frame no. for a start??!

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Having been more into my retro MTB's for a while now, I haven't had much to do with the road scene, but I picked this up cheap from my LBS as I wanted something I could single speed easily....

It's pretty much all Exage 300EX, with 105 brake levers and headset, and as far as I'm concerned, only the headset will be kept as the rest has seen better days. All stripped down now, apart from a stubborn BB, as the frame will need some attention and a respray - it's been used pretty much all it's life on a turbo trainer and where sweat has dripped on to the frame and run down round the BB shell area, it's corroded really badly (but not terminally).

Question is, does anybody know much about the builder, and is it really a Paul Milnes? I can't find a frame number anywhere, including the (531) fork steerer, and the drop outs aren't stamped as Campag or anything. Takes a 27.2 seat post though, so assuming it's 531C as the sticker says....

Attachments

• Paul Milnes 004.JPG
    Paul Milnes 004.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 511
  • Paul Milnes 003.JPG
    Paul Milnes 003.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 510
  • Paul Milnes 002.JPG
    Paul Milnes 002.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 511
  • Paul Milnes 001.JPG
    Paul Milnes 001.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 511
Re: Info on Paul Milnes 531C - where's frame no. for a start

I had a Paul Milnes as well:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62249235@N ... 228405708/

As far as I know he was a pretty good road racer in the 70s/80s, when he retired he opened his shop in Bradford which is still there. I think he bought his frames in which may explain the lack of frame numbering. All his bikes seem to be above average quality :)

Thanks for the info, really lovely bike by the way, loving the colour!!

I've stripped mine down completely now and have just had a mate get the BB out, while I was there he carefully used his linisher to get rid of the worst of the corrosion and a broken top tube cable guide, so now I'm off to see if I can do a half decent job of repainting it, though I am going for the 'rat' look for now so it might stay in primer! We didn't find a frame number, but that looks as if it's nothing to worry about from what you're saying, and my lug work is the same as yours, so I think we can safely say it's a decent frame...

Robbied196":23gm1yk7 said:
I had a Paul Milnes as well:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62249235@N ... 228405708/

As far as I know he was a pretty good road racer in the 70s/80s, when he retired he opened his shop in Bradford which is still there. I think he bought his frames in which may explain the lack of frame numbering. All his bikes seem to be above average quality :)

All true but I think the shop has now closed and he is concentrating on his e-bay selling only. Frames were obtained form various sources, probably depending on the relative value. I have a CX frame which was one of his 'standard' offerings but has lovely Zeus 2000 frame parts.

Back