Freewheel Query and now Axle Query!!! with pics

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Evening all,

After an exhausting day i am pondering about wheels (i have little to do with my time!).

How do i tell, from a hub, which type of freewheel is suitable for it?

How do i tell, from a freewheel, which type of hub is suitable for it?

Thanks all, have a great weekend,

Richard

Re: Freewheel Query

Most freewheels (and hubs) you'll come across will have the standard (ISO) threads (a test here would be to try screwing a bottom bracket adjustable cup into the freewheel threads - if it goes in easy then it's ISO).

The only other kind of screw-on freewheel I'm aware of is the old french (metric) type which is relatively rare these days.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/french.html#freewheels

or indeed screwing the lockring from the adjustable cup (british ISO) onto the freewheel threads on the hub.... :)

Shaun

Thanks,

So using a British ISO lockring will tell me what the threading on the hub is.

How do i tell what the threading on a freewheels is then?

I ask because i previously managed to get a freewheel onto a Campag Nuovo Tipo hub and discovered when i tried to remove it that it was stuck as the threads did not match. There was some damage to the threads but not enough to wreck it. This hub is currently at the wheelbuilder to get rebuilt into a different rim and i do not think i can afford to cause any further damage to it.

Thanks all,

Richard

As Elsarian says, an english bottom bracket cup (adjustable) will thread onto the freewheel :D

Shaun

Thanks all, perhaps i should actually read the responses before i open my mouth!

Thanks all (again), I hope it is drier where you are today,

Richard

TGR":2ylllbus said:
...Thanks all (again), I hope it is drier where you are today...

Well it was dry here today, I had planned a nice 41 miles but decided to cut it short by quite a bit and done a gruelling 23 miles with a headwind gusting to over 30mph on a Cat 4 climb and half my route. Thinking I would have an easy cycle back the wind changed and was hitting me side on for another quarter of the route...the joys of cycling. Back home and the heavens opened up so my timing was perfect and a bonus was my dinner was on the table a couple of minutes after my return :cool:

Thanks for the help. I have tested a Mailliard hub with a lockring and it works. It is not a tight fit but it seems to fit.

I then tested a Mavic 501 hub which also worked. The Mavic huc is stamped 1'' 370 x 24 TPI - could anyone enlighten me as to what this means.

Also, I have a Campag Nuovo Tipo hub which is not ISO - does this mean i need a 'rare French' freewheel for it??

Thanks all from a very wet Norn Iron,

Richard

take it away Sheldon:

Freewheel Threading

The standard ISO threading for freewheels is 1.375 x 24 TPI, the same as for standard ISO bottom brackets.

Type - Inch - Metric
Italian - 1.378" x 24 tpi - 35 x 1.058 mm
ISO - 1.375" x 24 tpi - 34.92 x 1.058 mm
British - 1.370" x 24 tpi -34.80 x 1.058 mm
French - 1.366" x 25.4 tpi - 34.7 x 1 mm
Metric BMX - 1.181" x 25.4 tpi - 30 x 1 mm

All recent freewheels and threaded hubs, regardless of where made, use ISO threading. The older British and Italian standards use the same thread pitch but a very slightly different thread diameter, and are generally interchangeable. However, for strong riders and on tandems, it is best not to mix and match -- freewheels sometimes do strip the threads of aluminium hubs. A French freewheel may start to thread onto an ISO/British/Italian hub but will soon bind. An ISO/British/Italian freewheel will skim the top of the threads of a French hub and will slip forward if an attempt is made to use it. Do not force a freewheel -- you will ruin the hub.

A bottom-bracket cup can serve as a thread gauge for a freewheel: Dimensions are usually marked on cups. Hold the threads of the bottom-bracket cup against those of the hub, and look in between, against the light. If the threads engage tightly all the way across, the thread pitch is the same. If they rock across each other, it is different. You may check the thread pitch of a freewheel by threading an ISO left bottom-bracket cup into it (not a right cup, which is left-threaded). The cup will go in easily if the thread pitch is the same -- but do have a freewheel extractor tool handy so you can unscrew the cup.

Thanks for the info.

I have to presume that the Nuovo Tipo hub is French as i did get a freewheel to thread until i needed it off - a pure nightmare and i lost a few threads but the hub is still serviceable. I will now have to check my freewheels for non-ISO and try them on the hub. Nothing is ever simple!!

Thanks,

Richard

Back