HELP - Removing the forks from an 80s peugeot frame.

tcb888

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I recently purchased an 80's Peugeot road-bike. I'm trying to remove the stem and I want to be able to get the fork off of the front so I can paint it.

It seems completely jammed and I cant get the stem to even move independently from the forks.

I've attached an image of the bike so people know what model I am referring to.

Does anyone have any advice on how to do this?

This is my first ever bike project so I am very new to this although I do have a lot of experience in general mechanics, cars etc...

Thanks in advance!

Thom.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqV,!mEFGL75vEBTBRjVK3y0Z!~~60_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqV,!mEFGL75vEBTBRjVK3y0Z!~~60_12.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,131
I take it you have managed to undo the expander wedge bolt? If you have taken it out fully, put it back in a few threads. Then hold a piece of hard wood on the bolt head and smack the wood smartly with a hammer. This might shock the wedge free.

Next step would be soak it with Plusgas and try the above again.

Thanks,

I've got the wedge free, so I can move the bolt up and down when it's screwed into the wedge but the stem is not budging. It's in pieces at the moment so I will put the front wheel back on it tomorrow and the handle bars so I can try and get some more sideways leverage.

Once the stem is out should the forks just drop out no problem?

Welcome to the forum by the way. You'll need to take the headset apart as well if you want to take the forks off.

tcb888":5oc12et4 said:
Thanks,

I've got the wedge free, so I can move the bolt up and down when it's screwed into the wedge but the stem is not budging. It's in pieces at the moment so I will put the front wheel back on it tomorrow and the handle bars so I can try and get some more sideways leverage.

Once the stem is out should the forks just drop out no problem?
.....er, not quite! you then need to unscrew and remove the headset lock nut plus the upper bearing race and that will free the forks from the frame

Levering against the wheel will bend the wheel most likely.

The strongest part of the fork is the fork crown. Use a thick bit of wood to hold the fork still in between the top of the fork blades at the crown (not by jamming the wood against the down tube) and try and break the seal with a few hard taps against the stem with a block of wood and hammer. two pairs of hands help :)

Does this make sense?

Shaun

turn the frame upside down and put the stem in a vice. then use the wood in crown of forks method....it'll free itself.

My 2p -

check youtube for some Aussies doing it.

Welcome to the word of RB,

Richard

I'd turn it upside down and give it a good soak in plus-gas with an overnight soak to let it work its way in.

Hi Thom,
I had exactly the same issue with my Peugeot. Tried the soaking method and this was useless. In the end as mentioned above put stem in a vice and then used wooden pole as a lever between the forks. It felt brutal but it and finally came loose with an alarming cracking noise, but no damage done.

Regards
Rob

Back