Deep retro rim advice

RobWJL

Old School Hero
Hi,

I am looking for some plain, deep rims. I like the Campagnolo Atlanta 96 style as they would look good on the build I currently have underway. I'd like to use them with a set of large flange record hubs.

Can anyone recommend any other options similar in appearance (plain as possible, silver) that I could look up? Also what are the critical aspects of a rim's specification I need to look out for in terms of quality?

If anyone has anything for sale please let me know.

I am going to try to attempt to build the wheels myself but that's a whole new post (or 10)

Thanks

I think Campagnolo had this more or less tied up with the Atlanta's, Shamals, Vento's et al although FIR did some deep section around the same time. If your looking for rims only you may be in for quite a wait as they don't come up to often as rim only and the wheelsets can be big bucks. There's some NOS wheelsets here but take a seat before you look at the price http://www.defietsenmaker.nl/index.php? ... 24&lang=EN

I've got an Atlanta 96 Rim doing not a lot but it's a bit worn - I bought it for the Mavic hub :) Your welcome to that if it's of any use to you.

As a modern take but with a very retro look then H-Plus Son do some very nice rims indeed. I've seen some built up & was very impressed - plain silver with a nice finish.

Not sure deep rims will look quite right with large flange hubs unless you're building one of those fashion bicycles that were popular last year.

Hi again Rob, just realised it's you, apologies, thought this was more fixie bollox. How's the build going? The Zonda and Vento rims/wheels can often be picked up for a decent price and look the nuts but again, not sure they're period correct for large flange hubs.

The Araya Super Aero is a nice looking wheel
I see them around for sale quite often, usually very cheap compared to Campag wheels too

Not as deep as a Shamal/Vento/Zonda, they're more like the Atlanta 1996

Thanks is all for the advice.

Agent O - I finished my Basso in ruby red and chrome with a mixed gran sport and nuovo record groupset. Very proud of those calipers! Feel very pleased with the outcome. Rode it for the first time yesterday - great fun.

I've now picked up a Cinelli Supercorsa road frame and am considering a going for c-record. I concede large rims and large flange hubs may be a bit random but I saw a supercorsa pista kitted out in this way recently and it looked pretty nice. Just an idea and may not go this route in the end.

A

Those H Son jobbies are going on my Record hubs . Using the grey ones as they are h like my old Open Pro's but wider . And grey not black!

The biggest obstacle in lacing a large flange hubs to Shamal or Zonda rims would be the spoke count. If I recall correctly the Shamals were 16 front and 16rear, later the front was reduced to just 12 spokes. Although I guess you cold use a 32 hole hub and use every other hole.

I have both Campag Zonda and Vento wheels (see viewtopic.php?t=243945 for the Ventos). My opinion is that while they do look good there are probably better alternatives out there but they complement my bike well.

Both are 20 spoke (so may not match any large flange hubs) and quite heavy- more than my 36 spoke MA2s. Vento is flat spokes and Zonda round section. They also have the spoke nipples inside the rim section so the tyre/tube/tape must come off to access - and then you need a special tool (but there is a Park version for £10ish). Shamal were 16 spoke.

You will also struggle to find mint ones now and being Campag you will pay through the nose.

I've got Atlanta 96 on one of my bikes but with small flange hubs.

Mavic CXP30s are similar but have more stickers/graphics - also need to make sure with these that you get the eyelets/nipple inserts that are specific to this rim.

Another less retro but readily available option are Velocity Deep Vs, I've got a set on another bike with l/flange dura ace hubs that look great, also quite plain with the stickers easily removeable.

Never thought of spoke count. One option is to opt for the Later "Sherif Star" large flange hubs which maybe what you saw on the Cinelli pista, these are later and came out with the C-Record group as a 'track' version, sadly stupid money now. You can do a lot worse than go all C-Record, most parts are easily optainable, you can get away with sourcing non-Record level parts that still look the job i.e. levers, shifters, BB, Headset, but you will need Record hubs, ch/set, f & r mechs and calipers, expect to pay heavily for Delta calipers and rear mech but the bike will look amazing with one of the most coverted Campagnolo groupsets ever.

Back