Powder Coating

Matt_wood55

Senior Retro Guru
Hello All

I have been considering having a frame and forks powder coated, and have reviewed a few posts on the Forum. Has anyone used a coater in the Notts / Derby / Leics area? I am in the middle of all three, so no problem going to any of them. Thinking about a dark grey for a Raleigh 653 frame that has seen better days. If not a company up in York looks to have the best feed back.

Cheers
Matt

Not exactly in your area, but I have a frame in with C and F services near Northampton at the moment. Stopped by today on an unrelated job and saw it had been blasted and primed, ready for coating.

If it's not too far for you I can let you know what the finish is like when I get it back on Friday. £50 all in (blast, prime and coat).

Again, a bit off your patch - though not that far- is Midland Product Finishing in Northampton. Very good, and experienced with bike frames. T' is who I use.

Thanks for the advice - Northampton not too far away. If youl could put some pics up when it's done that would be great.

Cheers both

Matt

If your frames lugged I wouldn't go for powder coating. It'll soften the shape of the lugs which rather spoils the look of a nice lugged roadframe. If frames welded or fillet brazed then go for it.

velomaniac":u6mq0w6r said:
If your frames lugged I wouldn't go for powder coating. It'll soften the shape of the lugs which rather spoils the look of a nice lugged roadframe. If frames welded or fillet brazed then go for it.

+1

I'm not a fan on lugged frames. There maybe people out there who can do a good job but the powder coat frames I've seen look as though the coating has sagged. Its always thin on top of the tubes and thick underneath.

I have heard these guys are good in Birmingham: http://www.citypowdercoating.co.uk/#!__price

£30 for a strip and paint :shock:

Back