Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:00 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:26 pm 
Retro Guru

I'm looking to buy one of these for my all round riding bike. Firstly is one of the above better than the other?
Also is there a going price for a clean one?
And will they all be 1" threaded.

I'm winding down my racing, so selling my Ti training frame and a few parts, this is to replace the Ti, but won't be a 'trainer' as such.
I was about to buy a Bob Jackson 631 Olympus road, which I guess would be more suitable, but I like the 'ownership' side of things.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:12 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Well the most obvious difference would be the tube sets, the Leader was MXL, no surprise there and Corsa, was SL? I had a Corsa Extra for a couple of years but sold it because it was too small. The attention to detail on the Eddy Merckx left something to be desired. The world champion band decals were too short so they did not meet up at the back of the tube and the two tone paint was a bit sloppy, uneven, at the lug junctures.

Steven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:22 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

I have a later Corsa extra in SLX and the finish is superb. Bought mine new and some 'decals' are airbrushed to match the paint. My paint, chroming and finish leaves nothing to be desired ;)
In the 90's there was an option for ahead or threaded steerers on the forks but all of the steels were, from memory, 1 inch.
The Corsa and Corsa extra were around for quite a few years so prices vary greatly with paint scheme influencing price as well. I would always try to go for one with original paint.
I'll try and dig some of the differences out and post them up but there is a wealth of knowledge on here so you should have no shortage of advice.
I dont have much experience of the MXL other than a few rides on one that was a bit too big for me but larger diameter columbus tubing on the MXL.

Jamie