modern bottom bracket with vintage SUper Record chainset?

boggy

Retro Guru
Hi, i have a Super Record chainset from 1984. Im trying to source a matching bottom bracket from similar era but is proving to be difficult with available options as the asking prices can be quite phenomenal.

Is there a modern sealed unit i can use out there? I dont have enough knowledge to know what my options are but any help will be appreciated.
I will need an ITA thread bb.

Re: modern bottom bracket with vintage SUper Record chainset

Depends on the bike. If it's an older Peugeot then it'll have a different thread to normal so you can't change it. Pretty much everything else you can fit a modern sealed BB in its place. Measure the width of the axle and buy the same width sealed BB and it should be a direct swap.

The Tange ones with metal cups both sides are good quality and a sensible price. Should be about £15.

Jonny69":3vwnf4uu said:
Depends on the bike. If it's an older Peugeot then it'll have a different thread to normal so you can't change it. Pretty much everything else you can fit a modern sealed BB in its place. Measure the width of the axle and buy the same width sealed BB and it should be a direct swap.

The Tange ones with metal cups both sides are good quality and a sensible price. Should be about £15.

Cheers, its going on a colnago super, from the early 80's, with full super record parts. Wanted to use super record bb but as no one sees it, ill use something modern and maybe more reliable

Make sure it's a Campagnolo (ISO) taper bottom bracket not a JIS one which is generally available. It would be a shame to ruin a nice crank.

"Measure the width of the axle"

You mean the width of the bb shell?

No, the shells are all 68mm wide or thereabouts. Measure the length of the actual axle from end to end.

cheers. its ita thread so will be 70 but when you say axle, im not sure in what context you mean. I think the chainset would have traditionally been paired with a 115mm bb, so is it this size i should be looking for?

the campag veloce cartridge BB is available in 115.5m

Back