Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:54 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:35 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Sort of wasnt sure where to post this thread as its crossover between retro (1992-1996 ish) and modern. I've just aquired a Mavic 3G Tripsoke carbon rear wheel in mint condtion with a shimano cassette hub and I intend to use it for duathlons, time trials, track etc. Has anyone any experience with these in various conditions i.e. hills , wind, etc? I have ridden these long ago ,borrowed front a mate, on the track years ago and in a fit of nostalgia, and being too tight to spend loads of money on a newer version I bought one as it still looks the business. Your thoughts and advice would be appreciated. Im also looking for spare hubs for both track and a front road hub so i can get full use out of it.
Cheers Darren

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:29 am 
Section Moderator & South West AEC
Section Moderator & South West AEC

i haven't ridden one of those i'd suggets trying the TT forum for an opinion as i'd guess they use more of that sort of stuff, i'd love a pair myself for mr Boardman Cougar build, they'd look the business :D

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?

:D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:34 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

jonnyboy666 wrote:
i haven't ridden one of those i'd suggets trying the TT forum for an opinion as i'd guess they use more of that sort of stuff, i'd love a pair myself for mr Boardman Cougar build, they'd look the business :D

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?

:D

Cheers I'll re-post
DD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:26 pm 
Retro Guru

I've been thinking about buying one for some time. To switch the hub from a cassette to a fixed gear, there's an adapter you use. I *think* there's an original Mavic one that came with the wheel but I've also seen some for sale where the colour of the alloy and the style of the machining isn't the same, so those ones must be an aftermarket part. I've also seen a single Mavic wheel for sale with three different hub adaptors to switch the wheel between rear/cassette, rear/fixed gear and front wheel.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:40 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

they really do look the business, thought it would be a good compromise of price and performance over a modern aero wheel, the cartridge hubs are excellent quality but dont come up on standard searches, I bet a few people have them. I've posted in the wanted ads on here and LFGSS.com as I want to get the hubs before they are gone forever.