The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Ok so I'm a wuss climbing on a road bike. How small a ring can I put on my biopace 130 BCD inner ring? I see 39T on eBay. Is that it?

Currently 52/42 and not loving it. Obviously should I become a mountain goat I can swap back but r now need some granny action!

So 39 or....?

Thanks as always. Learning as I go.

I have a 130 BCD 38 tooth on my 600 cranks. Seems to work fine with the braze on front mech. I got it from eBay.

The difference between 39 t and 38 t is small as far as gear inches (aka effort) is concerned. Best bet is to find a freewheel or cassette that has a 27 or 28 t cog. that will make the hills easier...

38 according to here
sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-bcd.html

No doubt some oddball in the bolts 37 is available :LOL:

Other solutions are fit a triple or compact double.
Or bigger cogs at the back.

I've a stronglight '99 double on one of mine, all rings same 86 bcd, I run 48-36 for those hillier moments with a more standard block

Don't want to faff around with rear as don't have the tools as yet. So would changing 42 to 39 make an appreciable difference?

The History Man":37o5mvma said:
Don't want to faff around with rear as don't have the tools as yet. So would changing 42 to 39 make an appreciable difference?
I reckon so. Using a 38 even more so. I can tell the difference.

48 to a 46 on my fixed gear makes a noticeable difference, so I'd say you will notice 42 to 39.

But I think I agree some granny gears on the back are probably more what you're looking for.

Thanks. Looking for the quick simple fix if you'll forgive the pun. Apparently should change the biopace upfront anyway at some point so was going to kill two birds etc.

What About this as a swap? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171074243565? ... 1438.l2649 and what should I pay for something? So hard to know given all the model numbers etc.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back