Hetchins Brilliant

lewisfoto

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Greetings gents,

I have a bit of birthday money in my pocket and was going to buy anther MTB when I spotted this. Bit of a novice when it comes to Hetchins so hoping someone on here can educate me on this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310705742073?ss ... 1423.l2649

thanks in advance,

Steven

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hi, please before I start, be aware this is just my view, as some Hetchins followers can be a bit sensitive. This appears to be a forties version, and is a good frame from the period, the Hetchins name will give it an uplift as far as value is concerned, but I think I would prefer to buy an ephgrave, or top notch claud, paris, r o harrison, carpenter, etc from the period. If I really wanted to buy a Hetchins ( too dear for my liking ), I think I would save for one that defines a Hetchins, the trademark curly stays and the fancy lugs, and there's the issue. Check out http://www.hetchins.org/100.htm for al the info. Terry

Thanks Terry that is precisely the insight I was looking for. I too prefer Ephgrave but they are hard to come by in the States.

Are those braze-ons an extra addition from the 80's?

Like the above comment, I'd like a "propper" Hetchins with the vibrant rear end :D Buying that to me would be like buying a Porche 924.......OK it says porche on the badge but is't a propper one :)

All IMHO

Shaun

Hetchins with Curly Stays and original paint :)

I'd be a bit worried about the paint on that one, it seems to have that slight dappling that you get with powdercoat, which would also explain why its too thick to read the frame number.

I'm beginning to see a consensus here, but that is why I asked...BTW Terry I am completely TERRIFIED after reading about the Magnum Bogus bikes on the Hetchins.org site

Hi, concerning Magnum Bogus bikes, anything of value spawns replication, Hetchins owners take it serious, but I think it's really an inverted complement to the original design, and as long as they are passed on as replica's, and not a Hetchins, it's not an issue. If you were buying a real one, there are serial numbers, plenty of helpful experts, and usually owner history, but if their isn't, be wary. Or would you consider a Magnum Bogus at a third of the price of a real one ? Terry

when I first started racing in the 70s my mate had a curly Hetchins (we all had second hand frames) and we ribbed him mercilessly about his dodgy bent frame. How times change !

I remember hearing a story about a guy racing in France in the 60's with a curly Hetchins who crashed into a ditch, knocking himself out in the process. When he came round, the locals were trying to straighten his frame for him............................ :roll:

Of course, it might not REALLY be true.

But it could be.................... ;)

Back