Rear gears slipping

rk92

Dirt Disciple
Hi there,
Im new to cycling and recently brought my first road bike, an Emmelle Clipper GT which I rebuilt to teach myself bicycle mechanics

Ive been riding it for around a month now and up until today the rear gears changed perfectly. Today I was out and they started slipping

When im on the smallest cog and I try to change down a gear, the chain slips straight to the small cog as soon as I let go of the friction leaver

I was wondering if this is just an adjustment issue? Or if it is a worn rear cassette? And if so, could I replace the original 6 speed cassette with a brand new 7 speed one which is on what I think is a MTB wheel in my shed

Thanks, Richard

You have tried tightening the shifter I assume? - there'll be either a hand or tool operated bolt thru the middle of the shift lever for this purpose.

(stating the obvious here I know...)

It's cable tension that holds the rear derailleur in anything but top, so the cable is losing tension somehow. The most likely culprit, as Elysarian says, is the shifter. Other possibilities are the gear cable slipping at the derailleur end or the outer cable slipping if its stops are banded on rather than brazed on.

Yes it was just the shifter needed tightening, apologies im new to all of this still!

Thank you both for your help :)

Back