Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:26 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:32 pm 

The helpful Old School Grand Master, suggested i post my bike up in the general forum to help identify the frame, he has suggested that the lugs are Capella and that in all likelihood this indicated a Carlton frame.

below the bottom bracket it says:

I believe the 62 63 might be tube angles and the 430 is the frame number?

i'm also just wondering what to do with it. I am by no means experienced in bike restoration, but like the idea of replacing the hub gears (they are proving to be unreliable) with a derailleur, perhaps having it resprayed (the frame is in great condition, but in places the paint has flaked a little) and generally sorting it out. But would like to know whether it would be worth the effort.

many thanks for your help

531a.jpg [ 175.8 KiB | Viewed 286 times ]
531b.jpg [ 48.58 KiB | Viewed 286 times ]
531c.jpg [ 39.25 KiB | Viewed 286 times ]
531d.jpg [ 58.29 KiB | Viewed 286 times ]
531e.jpg [ 71 KiB | Viewed 286 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:27 am 
Retro Guru

430 is unlikely to be the frame number. Have you got a number stamped on the rear drop outs?

Personally, I think the paint looks to good for a respray, a good brush and some careful touching up would do the trick :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:44 am 
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner

These are Capella lugs, if it were a Carlton it would roughly date the frame 59-66. I think another frame came up on thie forum recently, basically shwoing that (possibly) not only Carton used this design of lug. That said I like the look of the machine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:15 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I suspect the main reason the hub gears are troublesome is that they are shifted with a conventional shifter and not the indexed Sturmey one which they are meant to have.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:26 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Hi, nice frame, just discussed, it just needs a protective touch up. To my eye it is probably a carlton built frame, bought and badged by the local supplier in the sixties, carlton sold to whoever would buy, they were a business not a charity, supply had to go somewhere, 'non carlton, carlton frames' do come to the surface occasionally, and I think this maybe one of them. Terry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:20 pm 

Many thanks for all of your help. Regarding the hub, it actually does appear to have official sturmey shifters (with a diagram on the handlebars describing necessary leaver positions for each of the five gears).

Nothing obviously on the rear drop outs, there is a longer number below the bottom bracket which i had assumed was added by the owner for identification (nr3 3uf being a local postcode):

I will touch it up as suggested, sadly it is too big for me so i will, i think, be looking to sell. I don't suppose anybody would be able to give me a very rough estimate of value in its present state? apologies if this is the wrong place to ask

thanks again