Info ona Raleigh clubman

Ciccioformaccio

Dirt Disciple
Hi there

I am in process to try a rebuild of a Raleigh Clubman (possibly 1949); presently I have only the frame (well conserved) and the pedals....not very much indeed.

I am writing in order to have some information about the configuration of the rear wheel/hub gears.

I would like to rebuild the bike avoiding the use of the classic Sturmey Archer hub gear that I have seed depicted in the large part of the pictures available on the web.
Does any of you is aware of the use of flip/flob hubs (fixed) on raleigh Clubman ?
In case which is the hub/wheel used ?

On the bay I have found many fixed vintage hubs, but unfortunately all of them have 40 holes, and the relative rim is quite difficult to find.

Have you got any fixed/single speed rear wheel suitable for a rebuilding ?

Would you suggest the use of a modern 700c wheel or maintaining the original 26 x 1 3/8.

Thank you for now

Claudio

Claudio, If you are UK based, the Raleigh Clubman would have had 26 x 1 1/4 wheels, 32 x 40. Mostly with a medium ratio SA. There are some catalogues on line to check, and several US sites.
The single speed rear would be very rarely sold in the UK, but Raleigh did have fixed/free hubs, (never flip/flop) but with a 5/16 spindle, always 40 hole, to fit the Raleigh ends.
Keith

The original rims could have been the Dunlop HP, a narrower and lighter endrick style rim, 24 ounces instead of 32.
This bike was no lightweight, and would never have been used by "clubmen", it would have been a lightweight in the US.
Have you identified the frame number to start in the right year?
Keith

Firt of all i wish to thank you for the answers and for your competence too !

I have to say that I would like to rebuild the bike without a "strict" limitation of the original equipents, possibly employing parts that are available at a reasonable cost.

In fact I am located in Italy and therefore it is not easy for me to obtain the appropriate parts, including rim/wheels.

I agree with you that the "right" wheel size for Raleigh clubman would be 26 x 1 1/4 (or 27" x 1¼ for more rrecent versions), but due to the difficulties in finding such "vintage" rim sizes (and tyres), I am thinking to move to a more easily available 26 x 1 3/8 or 700c.

What do you think about this opportunity ?

I am considering to use a brand new Sun CR-18 26 x 1-3/8" Polished Rim for biulding up a hybrid wheel with an old hub set (36 hole front 40 hole rear).

The frame number indicate that the frame dates back to 1949 (font Sheldon Brown web page).

I am interested to know your opinion about the most appropriate/convenient approach to build/buy a couple of complete wheels for my Raleigh clubman.

To give you an idea of my, I attach here a bike with a similar frame

Attachments

• 49Clubman3.jpg
    49Clubman3.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 802
Claudio, I think you are right, you would not find the correct parts. These raleighs were sold in very low numbers, I had a retail shop selling raleigh 1953 to 1957.
The 26 x 1 3/8 should do, but try 700c, I think they be too large. It should be easy to build the wheels, the steel rims are very rigid.
I recently sold most of our bikes, including 2 Moser team bikes which were made for us at end of 1979, complete with titanium group set. For the last 24 years I have owned only FIAT makes of car. Previously had a number of Lancias and Alfas. My wife still has her 1972 Colnago which was her main time trialling bike in the 1970's. I recently recorded the Montalbano series on BBC. I used a Campagnolo Paris Roubaix gear in a road race in 1956. So I may not be the best person to advise you on Raleigh.
I hope you get the bike going.
Keith

Back