1999/2000 Ribble, Reynolds 853

Fireman Dan

Retro Newbie
Hi all, I'm new to this site and I'm looking for some advice on my Ribble bike. I think it's a 1999/2000 model with the following spec, could somebody give me an idea of it's worth. Thanks.

Reynolds 853 steel frame
Size XL, seat tube is 62cm c-t
top tube 54 cm
standover 83cm

carbon bladed Kinesis wedge front forks
Quando hubs
Vitoria zaffiro tyres
internal routed rear brake line
Specialites TA front chain set, 53/39
13/23, 8 speed rear cassette
Shimano 600 rear derailuer
Dura Ace front mech
Shimano 600 crank arms
Ultegra front and rear brakes
Shimano 105 shifters
Campagnoli head stem
ITM handle bars
Selle Italia Flite seat
Carbon seat post

I've had the bike about 8 years but at 5'10", it's far too big for me, I've only done about 150 miles on it. It's a nice looking bike and I think back in the day it was probably quite a decent standard. I'm looking to sell and buy something that fits, thanks for you advice in advance. :)

Photos

love those chain rings man! pondlife had blue chainrings on his titanium blue merckx and they looked the bees !
853 was the top reynolds frame set before the' carbon invasion' when trek bought out greg lemond s name some of their/s were 853
I was told by a sales assistant BANJO CYCLES newbury that some 853/s are lighter than some titanium and i don/t reckon you will have any problem selling it for less than £300 /frameforks ,head set and bbracket .best time is towards the end of the month.
I would simply transfer all the bits over onto your new correct sized frame . and naturally it will be something different and special and not like all the modern clones out there.safe ones :eek:

I would not let that chainset go , i would hang on to it !
Its a high end tube set but a name linked to budget pockets.
I dont think that any bikes like this sell for what they are really worth.
faces get longer over the £350 mark unless it has something really special about it
the type of person who is going to buy this is a steel enthusiast who is interested in trying out an 853
he may also be looking to buy with awareness to re sale. 853 is special but ribble aint !
i will stick m neck out and say £400 tops for the whole on e/bay always towards the end of the month.
wheels and components sold separately bout £200

£200 for the frame and forks would be a fair price - a said, everyone knows that Ribble is a low-price brand and therefore aren't going to pay a premium. Because they are cheap, there's lots about too. You may be better just changing the frame and keeping the parts - it'll cost more to replace them.

62 is a large frame a really tall guy . that can either be in or against favour. prob good idea to sell 'world wide' at first and see. i would love to try out an 853 one day .

62 is a large frame, a really tall guy . that can either be in or against favour. prob good idea to sell 'world wide' at first and see. i would love to try out an 853 one day and draw comparisons . the parts are not bottom end they would sell quickly ! ;)

Thanks for the feed back, I think I'll be selling as a whole unit. I was hoping to get £350+ so from the feedback and if i get the right advert at the correct point in the month, I may just get my price. I have a colleague who's offered me his Dolan full carbon from 2008, at £600. I would be chuffed if I could get that bike for mine + £200. Watch this space and thanks again.

yeah im itching to try out carbon , i read it can be 6x stronger than steel !
soon as i get my tax rebate i must try colnago c40 or c50 [great reviews]
but more important retro retro retro retro ! :p

Back