Monoplanar brakes

jaguarking

Dirt Disciple
Looking at new brakes and levers for my road build, what does monoplanar mean in respect the Campagnolo Chorus and does that need special levers ?

Monoplanar was the name given to the Chorus design of the 88-92 period. Their pull-rate was no different to any other calipers so pretty much any lever can be used from Nuovo Recpord non-aero through to current Ergo designs. The classic lever for these is the Chorus/Athena aero lever from the same period. It's worth noting that the Athena calipers of the same period were not actually Monoplanars, a common mistake made by eBay sellers. However the same Monoplaner design was used by later Athena and Veloce groupsets with cheaper compromises made to finishing detail. The Gen 1 Chorus design remains a classic.

Thanks My brakes are in attached photo, dont suppose that changes your advice ?

Attachments

• chrous brakes.jpg
    chrous brakes.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 2,427
campag monoplaner/s are beautiful . they are so stylish and chunky when polished they grace any retro bike.
the shear volume and surface area is magnificent & I want a pair !

Yes: C-Record as a whole, was Campag's answer to Shimano's AX groups.

However, the feature that differentiates Monoplaners from standard single pivot brakes, the intersecting caliper arms, was an attempt to resolve the problem of flex when the brake was applied.

Just to add to what agent Orange wrote:
- '88-'91 Chorus series 1 (white cable adjuster o-ring and wheel guide rubbers).
- '92-'93 Chorus series 2 (black cable adjuster o-ring, "naked" wheel guides, shape of the end of the caliper arms revised, brake block holders inherited from Record/Croce D'Aune).
- '94-'95 Athena (as per Chorus series 2 but with an all-in-one, rubber brake block/wheel guide).
- '95-'97 Veloce (as per Athena, but with an all metal cable adjuster in '95 only and cartridge style brake holders in '97)
- '96-'97 Mirage (as per '95 Veloce, but with a domed rather than pointed nut to secure the caliper arms).

NB From '95 Campag labelled all components with groupset names.

The "false" Athena Monoplaners, Agent Orange referred to, are D500 and pre-date Monoplaners. Although the shape of the caliper arms is the same as Monoplaners, the arms sit one on top of the other instead of intersecting; ie they are conventional single pivot brakes.

I have Chorus monoiplanars on my '88 road bike - bought the full Chorus groupset from a bike shop in Modena on a business trip to Italy back then and in my - admittedly biased - view they are still the most beautiful calipers ever made - the simplicity and the beauty never cease to please me and, since '88, they've never failed me and (probably shouldn't lay myself open to "unsafe on the road et al") still with the original Campagnolo brake pads!.

So if you can lay your hands on a set of Chorus monoplanars, grab 'em - you'll never regret it.

Back