Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:06 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:20 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Ha, what are the chances!

Didn't realise you sent yours back there Matt.

Anyone know of any French road forums? Really need to get this marketed in the right places over the next 8 days.

Oh and Matt, when I do finally get this sold I won't suddenly forget about your honest gesture.

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:06 pm 
Retro Guru

Paul
Not that matters too much as it the frame thats important but the Deltas are not C-Record they are Croce D'Aune.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:04 am 
Retro Guru

monsieur it must be kept in dear old blitey horr hee horr horr r !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:12 am 
Retro Guru

there's a chap on Peter Underwood's site
<< http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bu ... lders.html >> who's contribution seems quite knowledgeable see if you can be put in touch with him through Peter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:36 am 
Old School Hero

I should really read the forum before I post anything ever again.

I "found" the bike on ebay over the weekend and was, as usual, sceptical. Now I read the thread, see the confirmation from Cyfac, and all is clear.

However, I have just posted in the ebay road thread, so please ignore me!

If this were a 1989 frame it would be my "+1", as I already have "n" bikes as specified in The Rules.....

In other news, I have put together my 1989 Cyfac-built "Raleigh", Jean-Claude Garde's frame, and will post some pictures soon.

Now, do I buy M. Fignon's frame.....?

richie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:27 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

I am very glad that you have been able to get the confirmation from Cyfac. The reaction that Bigfatron had about not believing what was written in your description is not only common, but actually called for unless you can supply proper proof of provenance. By the 80's, absolutely all pro frames benefitted from the use of machinery and cast lugs, BB shell and the like, thereby making handicraft less important and making one-offs resemble the mass-produced frames and vice-versa, so to actually find such a frame is very special. There are simply too many people who claim special provenance which upon inspection proves to be completely incorrect. Unlike 95% of people who sell these bikes, you now have proof of provenance and this makes a huge difference to the value, even if it is only worth a fraction of what it would be worth if it was still with original paint in race-used condition.

PS: I would however remove the mention of the bike being used in the Tour from your ebay description, as you simply do not have this proof. You only are able to say that the bike was built for the Castorama team and more specifically for Laurent Fignon. You do not have proof of anything more. Indeed it is common for the pros of the recent past to often abandon their first bike of the season well prior to the Tour, especially when speaking or pros like Fignon who was given a greater variety of frames.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:54 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Thanks for that, if you read my description I don't claim anywhere it was used in the tour.

I have only claimed that I was told it was used in the tour (which is true... albeit I wasn't listening properly and wish I had been, I'm still waiting for my mate to get back to me with more info on this).

The Tour de France in the title is for peoples searches and doesn't claim anything either.

But thanks for the heads up.

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:32 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Paul
For people like me, and there are plenty on this forum, mad cylicng enthusiast , mid forties, raced loads on the road in the eighties and nineties, now married with kids and with a habit (well obsession!) of restoring bikes that era of bike to showroom spec this is an absolutely amazing find. To say Im excited that you have such a frame in your possession with such a huge slice of cycling history attached is a massive undestement! I really want to buy this and send it to Cyfac to get re-finished but in this instance cannot. I sincerely hope that it doesnt go to the states and that whoever buys it does it justice. My honest advice would be to remove from e-bay and sell as frame and forks only, but can understand if you want to make some fast money. many thanks for sharing :-)
Darren

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:12 pm 
Dirt Disciple

The enthusiasts here will be glad to know this hasn't gone to anyone in the states of over to France.

Its staying in sunny Britain and the buyer plans to sent it back to Cyfac for a restorative paint job and return it to spec as it was when new.

eBay ad has been removed as I was contacted by an enthusiast who wanted it and the fact they plan to restore it properly and keep it has swayed me to sell it them rather than let the auction run.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:13 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

Complete? :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next