Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:03 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:38 pm 
PoTM Winner
PoTM Winner

Great storey. I'd restore it.

How often will you get to own the bike of a two time tour winner?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:59 pm 
Retro Guru

Montello wrote:
Great storey. I'd restore it.

How often will you get to own the bike of a two time tour winner?

Exactly, but the OP is not a roadie - this would take some serious $ to get back to original spec - far more than it would be worth and therefore this is for a true enthusiast with some deep pockets.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:04 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Not that deep at the minute.

Listed on ebay if you are interested in buying it :-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Casto ... 4610fae0ac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:15 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Oh and thanks for all the advice folks. Not fussed about splitting it, I haven't got the time or inclination to bother.

I've had it for 4 years and road riding hasn't done it for me, I also find it a touch stretched (did he have arms like Mr Tickle? as I find the height just right).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:36 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Oh nilly that team Castorama kit was ugly,

anyway good luck with that auction at don't forget to slip Matt a 20 spot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:39 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Before you attribute history like this to a frame, I believe you have to be very careful. Raleigh did maintain very good records and without an absolute confirmation from them, I would be exceedingly cautious. Please look at the serial number and 90.1.LF marking and it would appear to me that the dies used for the numbers are not the same. This is worrisome because this would seem to indicate that the numbers were applied at two different times and perhaps in two different places. Perhaps the Cyfac subcontracting could explain this. Likewise, it is very odd to find team bikes painted with completely different paint schemes. If it was a team bike, I would want to verify the existence of original paint somewhere on the frame. If I could not find original paint I would want mmore proof than simply a serial number that could have been applied at any time. I think selling it as a Fignon frame is grossly premature and uncalled for.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:27 am 
Dirt Disciple

You can tell where there is a chip or a scratch that there is a layer of light paint underneath, however there is no telling whether or not that is a primer though. Also the original paint could have been stripped before spraying (it's a really good spray job, definitely done by a proper refinishing company).

I'll get on the phone later and see if i can find confirmation as you are right I may have jumped the gun on this.

I do recall my friend telling me about the history of this frame and that it had tour histroy though and it went over my head, only recall it after the serial has now been pointed out. This would support the serial numbers... but obviously by no means confirms the frames identity. I've tried to call him but his mobile number is not in use. Last time I saw him was 4 years ago when I bought this.

As I say, I will ring Raleigh and see where I get with that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:45 am 
Dirt Disciple

Just had the worlds biggest telephone chain of asking for peoples numbers but finally got hold of my friend who I haven't spoken to in 4 years.

He's going to ring his dad and get the frame history and ring me back.

I'm also going to pull the forks out when I get 5 mins. Someone has suggested to me that some of the old team bikes had the rider initilals on the steerer tube too.

Will report back.

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:39 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Just got off the phone about half an hour ago from Dave March at UniversalCycleCentre. He thinks the code indicates it is genuine and also thinks he might know the guy who sprayed it from thew original colour.

I've emailed him back and he's promised to get back to me with what information he can offer.

Will post up the email he sends back.

Also interestingly he reckons these weren't actually built by RSP but the team frames that were custom geometry were made by smaller frame builders to the riders specification and then stamped up by the RS division.. which would explain the potential for two different dies on the BB.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:29 pm 
Retro Guru

i believe there was a retro member not so long ago who knocked out three of these in quick succession and
laurent/s name was mentioned . now its actually going to happen ! THE ONE !
He was such a great star, a philosopher a maverick with fantastic quotes like ;

' A bad character is better than no character '

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next