Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:09 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:33 am 
Dirt Disciple

Can anyone offer a rough idea of what I should value it at to sell on? I've slept on it and I'm not going to keep it, it doesn't get ridden and I don't appreciate it's significance enough to warrant owning it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:07 am 
Retro Guru

chilled76 wrote:
Can anyone offer a rough idea of what I should value it at to sell on? I've slept on it and I'm not going to keep it, it doesn't get ridden and I don't appreciate it's significance enough to warrant owning it.
How long is a piece of string? eBay with international postage might get you a lot of good bids (as long as you advertise it properly) i'm surprised you didn't get more than 300 as it was, the kit on it is worth a fair bit more than that.

Contacting someone on the Raleigh team might get you some interest, or a name within Raleigh, rather than just going to the customer service desk.

Geoff Giddings is also one name that might help, he's the current marketing director and a keen roadie/cross rider.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:56 am 
Dirt Disciple

Ball park.. are we talking £700, £1500, £3000?

I think if I don't get more than £1000 I'll hang it on the wall in my lounge and use it on sunny days.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:14 am 
Dirt Disciple

You could do worse than to have a chat with Dave Marsh at UniversalCycleCentre. He has had close contacts with Carlton/Raleigh all his working life and has had many SB frames pass through his hands. I took one in to be restored a few weeks ago and he recognised the number as one he had restored some years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:53 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

The problem with establishing a price on a unique item will be finding a similar item as a comparison. The lack of the original finish will bring it down a bit but It still should be worth a fair amount. I would get as much proof of its provenance as possible and offer it on ebay with the opening bid set at the minimum you are willing to accept. Also as stated above offer international shipping.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:15 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Took some proper pictures with the slr

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:17 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Also I've emailed Cyfac who apparently built them to get a response on authenticity.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:24 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Looks like most of the original kit is missing, with the exception of the brakes and possibly the bar and stem. Seeing this I would sell it as a frame set

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:05 pm 
Feature Bike
Feature Bike

Chapeau to the chap who let you know the truth. If you want to maximise profit, work out what is original (cf Lewis's post) and ebay it with international coverage. Sell off the other bits separately.

However, it looks like you've stumbled across a serious slice of quality bike history. If it fits you, keep it: ride it and you will get yourself into road riding. As you get older, the appeal of gnarly berms will diminish and the call of the road will be upon you. Knowing you are riding something of this pedigree will then give you much plesaunce.

(If L.F. had been a smidge taller, I'd be offering you a nice wadge of red notes rather than a handful of platitudes.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:32 pm 
Retro Guru

lewisfoto wrote:
Looks like most of the original kit is missing, with the exception of the brakes and possibly the bar and stem. Seeing this I would sell it as a frame set

Absolutely agree, money is in the frame & fork & delta's although they do look quite worn. The rest of the bike doesn't stack up as original - daytona & veloce are low end campag. I'd split the bike as there isn't much originality left and this would likely give you the maximum revenue potential

This is the team card from 1990 for L.F....I wonder if this is where the term bib-short came from????

Attachments:
1218890369Fignon, Laurent.jpg
1218890369Fignon, Laurent.jpg [ 30.31 KiB | Viewed 464 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next