Super Record rear mech Q

mattsccm

Senior Retro Guru
Got a SR rear mech. Can't work out exact model but patent 79 on it.
Anyway, does anyone know if the springs are especially strong on these. Every other Campag mech I have used, older or newer has worked fine with my 8 speed Record shifters.
I seem to recollect that even this one might have but not now . It will shift to first perfectly but when the shifter is released it pops back to about 3rd as if the spring is too strong for the Ergos. The Ergos are working beautifully with other mechs including other brands. I wondered if an extra strong mech spring coupled with a les than ideal Ergo ratchet might be the issue but if the spring is "normal" that shouldn't be the case.
Also do modern jockey wheels fit this mech. The original ones are part worn and I want to save them not wear them on the rough stuff bike.

That was the closest I could find . Its close but not exact.
Never had any issues with getting friction shifters to index, especially with 8 speed Record Ergos.
Any experiences of spring rates?

although you can hook up a friction rear mech. to a set of Ergo's and the result may work so-so it will never be entirely satisfactory due to to fact the S/Record was designed as a friction mech. and not indexed.....which is what the Ergo's need!
however if this ensemble is only going on a rough stuff bike why not sell the Super Record (which is quite collectable and valuable) then buy an indexed early Chorus or similar which go for less money

Does your Super Record mech look like this?

If so then I second the "sell it on" bit of advise because this is the first generation Super Record and they are quite valuable ($150 to $200 on the Bay)

Attachments

• 8EA34642-A73A-4C4D-8C5D-455240CD3BD4.jpg
    8EA34642-A73A-4C4D-8C5D-455240CD3BD4.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 307
Nope. Its the black one above with details different. What's bugging me is that the Nuovo Record I have works fine in that set up but the SR is nicer on the bike.

Back