Dura-Ace CS-7700 27-12 Sprocket Replacement??

Carge

Retrobike Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Hi,
I'm running a DA 27-12 cassette, the top end of which is fine and dandy... but the chain is slipping on the 13T and 12T sprockets.
So can I rob a 13T and 12T sprocket from the other DA cassettes I have - or do I have to match em up from another 27-12??
Thanks in advance :)
And in case you're wondering why - I'm planning on having a crack at Mt Ventoux :facepalm:

Thanks for that - so let's throw this out there...

If it IS ok - to use sprockets from another cassette... and the rear mech is a longer arm DA and will cope with the spread....

What's to stop me using a 12T & 11T - instead of the 13T & 12T - apart from scaring myself bitless on the descent?

You'll have a gaping hole in your ratios where your 13T should be, so I wouldn't.

But it'll probably "work"

An 11 tooth cog will also need a smaller lockring , one designed for the 11t cog or the chain will ride up on the lockring instead of fully seating down on the cog. If you already have the 11t cog then I assume you have the matching lockring to go with it.

Yep - already have an 11T lockring - on a 23-11 cassette

Am I going to worry about "missing" a 13T?
The way I look at it - I'm I'm going to be slogging uphill on the 27-25T end of things - or coming down PDQ - as the 11-12T end of things.....

Well, I tried this out on Sunday - seems to work well.

Was 27-24-21-19-17-15-14-13-12
Now 27-24-21-19-17-15-13-12-11

The 15-13 "gap" isn't noticeable - by the time you're going downhill enough to be that far down the cassette a 2 tooth step is fine. I haven't noticed a difference heading back up the cassette either.
:)

OK, that went well!
I just didn't notice the "gap" in the 15-13-12-11 gearing.
Lots of hills ridden - including getting up Ventoux.
Certainly quicker on the downhill bits with the 11T :)

Latest posts

Back