Campagnolo hub identification and some stupid questions

FreeWheel

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I'm looking at buying some second hand Omega Strada wheels. The person selling them isn't too hot on bike terminology and I doubt I'd be able to get a convincing answer if I were to ask them directly so I thought I'd try here:

Can anyone hazard a guess at what I would find under the sprockets in the photo: Freewheel or freehub? I suspect a freewheel thread given it is a 6-speed.

Also, could anyone summarise the options for shifters with such a hub? Would I have to change the 6s freewheel for a 7 or higher in order to easily find compatible indexed shifting components?

Sorry for the ignorance - it's my first go at building, rather than maintaining, anything bike related so I'm having to learn as I go.

Attachments

• Hub.JPG
    Hub.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,084
I have the same wheels they are Campag Chorus and freewheel rather than cassette. You have a few options stick with the freewheel you have and use non index shifters, any will do. You could also put a 7 or 8 speed freewheel on and use index, again most index down tube shifters will work, or possibly more modern 8 speed Campag ergo levers.

Not so sure about the Chorus ID. Looks more like a Nuovo Tipo or a Triomphe. Also I have never seen a 8 speed freewheel, though it may exist.

Steven

further possibility is they look very similar to 1980's Victory hubs.......plus if you wish to retain the 6 speed block and can only get 7 speed index shifters then you could blank the seventh click by adjusting the stop screws on the rear derailleur if needed I've done this before and it works fine........8 speed freewheels in road or MTB ratios were available at our shop up until recently, they came out in the transition period of 8 speeds being introduced in the late 80's/early 90's prior to cassette hubs becoming the norm. on rear hubs
lewisfoto":f2a1scu2 said:
Not so sure about the Chorus ID. Looks more like a Nuovo Tipo or a Triomphe. Also I have never seen a 8 speed freewheel, though it may exist.
ps: the Q/R axle looks a bit long on the L/H side may need spacing

Steven

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
ColnagoC59":1dt75n09 said:
Note all of the comments made but I can assure you they are early Chorus hubs, I have the exact same wheels, and bought them from new. When Campag introduced Chorus a lot of the components where the same as the previous years Victory groupset, especially the hubs, see the link to the same hubs. Also a link to 8 speed freewheel, you can buy them and they are not silly prices.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-Campa ... 710wt_1154

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sachs-8-speed ... 748wt_1126

Sadly by your pic we can't be sure they are Chorus, Triomphe, Victory or even early Veloce, Mirage or Centaur. The only sure way of telling is if they have 'S-T' written on the lcoknuts but you'll need to remove them to check. My gut feeling is that they are Mirage or Veloce as the central section seems a lot fatter than the Chorus versions and yours don't seem to have the same satin patina as the Chorus units - http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.a ... &AbsPos=46. But whatever they are they are virtually functionally identical to other similar versions. Another good way to tell is by dating them by the rims or by the quick release's but I fear yours are missing.

Also, you may find later, more period correct hubs for your 8-speed desires as a freewheel can add a lot of extra weight over a cassette.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Just checked the "Alphabet" catalog and it appears that the Chorus hubset has the "Italy" printing adjacent to the right flange whereas the Victory/Triomphe hubs do not. The catalog photos are a bit small so it is hard to be certain but with the freewheel off this could be a big clue.

The 1987 era Campag Victory, Chorus and Athena hubs are pretty much the same, the key changes are generally upgraded bearings or quick release skewers, something Campag still do throughout group sets. They are not early Mirage or Centaur as these where not screw on. You can look on Retorbike Campag brochure downloads and see for yourself

Back