Hello, think this is my first time posting, I've mostly done a lot of reading (and bought the odd thing here and there).
I bought this beauty
through this forum around six months ago, and though it rides beautifully the rear mech needs replacing and it's prompted me to think about what direction to take it in, because at the moment the components are nice but a bit all over the place!
The photos at the link above give you a good idea of how things are looking, but I've asterisked*
anything that's different from the photo in the list below:
- Frame/forks Columbus SLX. 1989 I believe.
- Front and rear derailleurs are Mavic SSC (but the rear is completely knackered)
- Brake calipers
- Crank and BB
- Pedals (clips not cleats - these
- Levers are Aero Gran Compes
- Stem and bars are Cinelli (XA)
- Friction shifters are Simplex
- Hubs are Miche Competizion
- Rims are Saturne
- Saddle is a San Marco Regal (tan coloured, and I was planning on bringing the bar tape into line, e.g. Cinelli natural cork, shellac coated, or leather)*
- Seatpost is Gipiemme
- headset, seatpost bolt and dropouts are all Campag
Basically I can't decide what to do. Should I just go all out with DA-7400 stuff? The demise of the rear derailleur leaves me with relatively little Mavic SSC stuff, so it seems like it would be easier even though I was originally interested in going down the Mavic line to make things a little more distinctive.
But then if I do, would having a bit of 7401 stuff on there do any harm? (I only ask because I'm keen to keep aero levers) It's not like I'm looking to turn it into a money-spinner, the priority is something that looks good and consistent, though I don't particularly want to reduce the resale potential just in case. With this in mind, how far should I go? Is it worth worrying about the BB, hubs, cassette etc?
I'm not planning on running out tomorrow and spending a load of money, I'm more just trying to build a long-term plan in my head so I know what I'm aiming for (and in the meantime I'll keep riding it!)
Any thoughts/suggestions welcomed, thanks!