Identifying my R O Harrison frame - Resto Project

Gibson_customs

Retro Newbie
Can anyone help me identify this bike frame?

I know only that it is an R O Harrison. I fell in love with the detail of the lugs when I was shown the frame. Could this be a bit special?

Please help. I hadn't intended to do anything like a restoration with it but I think it would be a great bike for it. With that in mind I'd like to know what parts I need to source.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98393534@N ... 4446385441

I can post more photo's if it would help.

Nice lugwork, very Ephgrave like :)

A bit before my time so can't help very much on the restoration front. Classic lightweights have a good number of pictures but hopefully someone on here will have better info than me :)

Shaun

Hi, what a lovely bit of kit, gorgeous ! I've had a quick around for you without success ( will try again after work ), this I'm afraid the exact model maybe be difficult to track down, it looks late thirties ( chater lea frame fittings ), but the fancy lug cutting would usually be mid 40's - mid 50's, so its one of those frames I think that could be anytime from 1938 - 1949 ( post war, pre war fittings were used, if that makes sense ). Checkout http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/harrison.html and try to find a serial number, it may help. Terry

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your response. I'd had a look at the classic lightweights site. Loads of really good info but the serial number info on there isn't applicable in this case. The author talks about six and seven digit serial numbers, this has four digits, hyphen and then a single digit stamped. Then there is a mark that looks like a number three but it isn't stamped and could just be a trick of the rough paintwork. There is a photo of the number which is located on the underside of the bb underneath the Chater Lea identifying mark.

Could this indicate an earlier model than those with the longer sn's? A special edition?

I'm losing sleep over this!

Thanks again Terry. Really appreciate your thoughts.

Joe

Hi, here's a piccie of my 1939 Carlton Flyer B/B for reference. Terry

Attachments

• Carlton Flyer 1939.JPG
    Carlton Flyer 1939.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,636
Now I have a question: the "Chater Lea frame fittings" is that the bottom bracket and lug work or was the bike intended for Chater Lea components as well?

Hi, during the first part of the 20th Century ( I think they stopped doing frame 'fittings' just after ww2 ) Chater Lea were purveyors of frame tubes, lugs, bottom brackets, dropouts, forks, and various brazon's, as well as being one of the best manufacturers of bicycle components, everything could be bought, or just what you need. Back to the R O Harrison, I've displayed my Carlton's bottom bracket ( Chater Lea thread size not the standard British Standard - worth checking ), to show the number below the chater lea name, I believe this to be the casting/catalogue number ( I will find out ), as the classic Carlton serial number is 90 degees to the Chater Lea name, so the frame number maybe else where ( dropout ? ), it should be on the fork steerer at least. Will dig around this evening for you. Terry

It's got to be the steerer tube, I'll be taking it out in the morning for an inspection.

In the mean time, I have a friend who has a Cyclo derailleur and shifter that he thinks would suite the bike/period... Honestly - I'm out of my depth but learning fast - could this be a missing part of my puzzle or should I be looking elsewhere maybe waiting to know more about the parts I do have before collecting more...

Hi, don't rush at this, have a good look around the 'readers' bikes on the classic lightweight website, and decide what you want to down with it. There are limiting parameters, i.e. what's the width between the dropouts, if it is 110mm you may want a 3 speed Sturmey, or to have it 'fixed', do you want it as it was in the thirties, or just good looking 'period' parts, lots of choices, just take your time. Here's a link to a 1935 one http://hilarystone.com/images/sale%20im ... re-war.jpg to keep you going. Terry

Back