Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:28 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:52 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:18 pm
Posts: 2373
Location: California
A well known bicycle mechanic and builder here in SoCal is re-manufacturing certain rare bits for his Campagnolo equipped bikes. He told me that including his labor it costs about twice as much to produce a piece than it would be worth on the open market. So I say no it can not be profitable to manufacture 50th anniversary dust caps.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:55 pm 
PoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:21 pm
Posts: 1156
Deleted double post.


Last edited by Montello on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:58 pm 
PoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:21 pm
Posts: 1156
lewisfoto wrote:
A well known bicycle mechanic and builder here in SoCal is re-manufacturing certain rare bits for his Campagnolo equipped bikes. He told me that including his labor it costs about twice as much to produce a piece than it would be worth on the open market. So I say no it can not be profitable to manufacture 50th anniversary dust caps.

That is what I figured but on his feedback he has shifted a few sets but no other 50th items and the buyers seem happy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:08 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:16 pm
Posts: 1568
Location: NOTTINGHAM
Wouldn't like to feel the wrath of Campagnolo's legal team if they got their teeth into some hooky production run of parts being done without licence. It does prove that certain pieces of the group must be particularly scarce.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:08 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 104
[quote="Montello"]I bought a bike with a part 50th group and have bought other bits off eBay to complete the group (almost).

I have become a bit of a "spotter" on the subject and put this page up:

http://www.lejog4amr.co.uk/pinarello/ca ... pset.shtml

What surprises me is the variance of the same item over different sales and the odd very high price.

I have managed to collect almost a second group as well as the one I have on the bike I ride ... I have done that through jumbles and striking deals with people through eBay and buying odd bits in the hope that I can one day find the other bits to complete ....

A good used group lose is worth £1500 if it is 100% complete that is comes with HS, BB, Dust Cap tool, all the gold caps etc ... anything missing and you start knocking off £££s. No way could you assemble a group for £700 unless you can find someone who does not know what they are selling or if the components are in very poor condition.

NOS groups in the box I have seen go from £2200 to £3200 ... quite why there is such a range I guess depends on who is bidding at the time.[/quote

With patience and sensible buying you can put a groupset together for £700, as I've done it, all parts where used but in good condition. It took nearly 2 years and lots of searching. Most parts will polish up fine but be careful with the aluminium parts that if well used will suffer with corrosion, also the steel bolts on such parts as brakes once rusted will cost a fortune to replace if you can find original parts. Things like brake blocks, cables, and lever hoods can be sourced at reasonable prices so just look for good components


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:17 am 
PoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:21 pm
Posts: 1156
ColnagoC59 wrote:
With patience and sensible buying you can put a groupset together for £700 ... It took nearly 2 years and lots of searching.


Good for you, was that recently?

Where were your best finds? eBay seems expensive and I have had limited results at jumbles as everyone knows what they are selling and price accordingly.

The only way I can see hitting your budget is if you can find sellers who are unaware of the value of what they are selling. Where do you find these sellers?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:45 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 104
Montello wrote:
ColnagoC59 wrote:
With patience and sensible buying you can put a groupset together for £700 ... It took nearly 2 years and lots of searching.


Good for you, was that recently?

Where were your best finds? eBay seems expensive and I have had limited results at jumbles as everyone knows what they are selling and price accordingly.

The only way I can see hitting your budget is if you can find sellers who are unaware of the value of what they are selling. Where do you find these sellers?



Early last year I managed to get the groupset complete, it took nearly 2 years. Bought some things off ebay, and got lucky, things like gear levers don’t go for silly money. Other more expensive parts such a chainsets etc I bought through bike shops, bike fare’s and jumble events. All parts where used with some marks, and some needed a good polish & overhaul. Checked my final spend and it was £749.38, less any postage. I have since changed things like jockey wheels and bought new brake hoods and cables, but all still done within a reasonable cost. I’ve done OK at bike jumble events, even picked up a NOS Campag Electra Saddle (Ti rails) for £150, when on ebay people are asking £500+. It dose take up valuable training time !!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:49 am 
PoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:21 pm
Posts: 1156
Nice one, did you manage to find a dust cap tool?

BTW I messaged that guy on eBay about those crank caps and he said they were repros ...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:28 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 104
Montello wrote:
Nice one, did you manage to find a dust cap tool?

BTW I messaged that guy on eBay about those crank caps and he said they were repros ...



Yes you can still buy them, link to one currently on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOOL-Campagno ... 1463wt_889


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:40 pm 
PoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:21 pm
Posts: 1156
ColnagoC59 wrote:
Montello wrote:
Nice one, did you manage to find a dust cap tool?

BTW I messaged that guy on eBay about those crank caps and he said they were repros ...



Yes you can still buy them, link to one currently on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOOL-Campagno ... 1463wt_889


I ment the one with a 50th logo that came as part of the groupset.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jm and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group