Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:39 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Campagnolo 50th group
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:01 pm 
Retro Guru

Would like to tap into peoples experience of putting one of these groups together from a money point of view. How much (realistically) is one going to cost to assemble from ebay etc etc. Can't afford to buy one of the pristine still in a box 2 grand jobs, but just nice condition individual components as & when they come up at not stupid prices.

Are we talking £700 / £1500 / more / somewhere inbetween? I appreciate that it can be a money no object scenario given some of the BIN prices but i've seen a few bits going for fair prices recently as people perhaps sell stuff as the 80th group garners it's own publicity...

cheers for any input on this one....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:53 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

I have had a number of bikes pass through my hands with 50th anniversary gruppi. I don't think that I ever paid more than the equivalent of £700 for the whole bike, but then they were all well-used... Each time I purchased the bike I bought it with the idea of keeping the bike and each time I ended up selling it because the whole Idea of showcase components simply doesn't hold my interest.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:27 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Watched a NOS 50th chainset go for £500 on ebay! But thats ebay for you...full of shill-bidders to hike the price.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:56 pm 
Retro Guru

500 for chainset only! disgraceful but people must pay these daft monies. There's a lot of 50th out there but some of it just seems to be massively overpriced as it's used and in a lot of cases pretty bloody shabby.

Interesting that an entire bike is "possible" for 700 - that's not a bad shout in terms of value for money assuming the re-sale of the frame makes it worthwhile. The hubs seem to be the most scarce part but i'd be happy with all the other parts as the core part of a build. Got a rear mech for £40 odd as the BIN of £150 just didn't get close, thing is it's started the next wishlist which is a full groupset. What have I got myself into? I'm thinking £600 "might" just get me everything expcept the hubs? Oh and a frame etc etc. Best crack on with some overtime :facepalm:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:43 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Spare cash anyone!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Groupset-Camp ... 51ae6feabd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:08 pm 
Retro Guru

Bloody hell Ian - that's way too much overtime - not sure I should of bought that rear mech - can of worms is an understatement...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:50 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

FINNEY1973 wrote:
not sure I should of bought that rear mech - can of worms is an understatement...

My mate said exactly the same a while back! He got a pair of 50th hubs at a jumble and then a 50th rear mech' at another jumble
then spotted a 50th front mech' then a year later a pair of 50th brakes! he then stopped as he had spent £300. :facepalm:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:02 pm 
Retro Guru

Ian Raleigh wrote:
FINNEY1973 wrote:
not sure I should of bought that rear mech - can of worms is an understatement...

My mate said exactly the same a while back! He got a pair of 50th hubs at a jumble and then a 50th rear mech' at another jumble
then spotted a 50th front mech' then a year later a pair of 50th brakes! he then stopped as he had spent £300. :facepalm:

I'm feeling that, I spent £300+ putting a DA 7700 groupset together, this could be a whole lot worse!! but I need to own one I think - I did think of getting an 80th groupset until they released the price and it's bloody ugly and it's not a full group - no hubs! this way I get the groupset but it's a financial cliff I don't fancy jumping off - I think it's a case of as and when - the rear mech is going in a box with all the other impulse purchases :facepalm:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:18 pm 
Retro Guru

Interesting. In real terms, has the 50th gruppo appreciated in value? Is a used 50th gruppo more than when it came out new?

Personally I'm not into this anniversary stuff at all, and I don't even think it's attractive - gold just doesn't do it for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:31 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Woz wrote:
Interesting. In real terms, has the 50th gruppo appreciated in value? Is a used 50th gruppo more than when it came out new?

I do believe the 50th set was £395 when it came out!! the only price worthy Campag gold groupset is the ICS set, I'm sure you'd like it.

Back on the quest or just the down right stupid....lol
Theres always the one that is that bit cheaper and in better condition you know!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAMPAGNOLO-50 ... 27d4508f0f

You could always sell on the 50th stuff you already have :lol:

Or buy a NOS set at the region of £3,500 :|