Beating a dead horse to pulp..

kbmpi

Retro Guru
Well, my question-problem is quite simple : D

I have 8spd campy gruppo, athena wheelset on mexico rims, athena derailleurs, but newly bought mirage UT crank and veloce dual pivot brakes. My ergos are shitty plastic mirage ones, but I'm now onto getting some solid alloy-carbon ones to improve braking performance...

Only problem is: sustainability.. If there'd be a broken axle, cracked ergo, crashed rear derailleur, I don't think it'd be possible to solve the case easily..

Yet I love how the gruppie works, flawlessly, fast and easy shifting, smooth spinning hubs, nice polished brake calipers, stiff and reasonably light cranks (don't forget.. UT BB cups only weigh in 49 grams, or so, and the UT cranks are not too heavy either..)

Should I keep this gruppo running or shall I opt for some older 8spd shimano STI groupset, eg: 105SC or RX100.

I know that 8spd campagnolo parts can be sold for quite good prices, and the 8spd stuff is solid as rock (heck.. those ergos weigh in 470 grams or so, not to mention the hubs with steel axle, steel freehub body, sealed bearings..)

Can i expect the campy stuff to work for call.. another good 15-20k miles? : ) Won't be it expensive to sustain on the long run?

Thanks for any input-advice-help.

Cheers.

In my experience a bike that has been together awhile works into a groove where all of the parts are wearing at a similar rate. It could go for years like that but change one key component and the whole thing goes to hell in a hand basket. That said I would upgrade the lower end bits particularly the shifters. Not saying anything bad about Shimano but if the Campy is working why change it.

few things I particulary like bout campy..

bearings, spinning of the hubs.
shifting several cogs simultaneosly on downshift.. (on community rides those who are able to do it are always flying away from others when they decide to go for an "all out burst")
hidden cables beneath the bar tape..

I'm planning to sell my mirage ergos (perfect condition.. no tears, no marks, no scratches.. ) for bout 30-35 pounds, and purchasing some athenas.. : )

The shifters are rebuildable, most spares are available too, unlike Shimano. Shimano shifters are sealed units and the only repair tool is WD40. I still run 1994-6 Campag bits on my bike, the only thing I have needed in the past 4000 miles have been two shifter springs, total cost £2.02.

And 8spd ergos even worked on 7spd for me with the stop adjusted so the last shift was "dead".

I'm still using a 7spd Record rear mech today, running 9 speed with it perfectly. It originally came with both 7 and 8 spd adjuster barrels, which looked the same, and the 8spd one is still hiding in the original bag in a box somewhere.

I've rebuilt ergo mechs, and even converted them (I converted a set of 10s to 9s and a set of 8s to 9s).

My old Shimano equipment was always break and throw away, I'll never go back.

well, ended up with buying athena ergos for upgrading those plastic mirages.. sad that I've won an auction on ebay for record ergos too, for the same price as I've bought the athenas.. : ) anyway, now I have athena derailleurs-ergos-front-rear hubz..

mirage brifters will be for sale for 35 pounds as I believe, or for 30. Perfect condition, not even a sratch on them.. : )

reason for staying with campy.. I've got used to it, never known anything else, not to mention that it looks better on a steel frame..

need some monoplaner brakes now :D :D

here are some pics about the record brifters:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage1990s-Ca ... 7675.l2557

and here are the athenas which I've bought after all:

http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/alfre ... 8.jpg.html

I don't think there's any difference between the two, weighing the same and sharing almost every spare parts.. The Seller of the Athenas was superb quick with the shipping, he dispatched even before I've learnt that my paypal transaction ws complete : ) Thanks for him again, "positive feedback left".. (member Grilla)

after I'll receive the item, I'll have the mirages for sale. Great for shifting, not so great for braking.. (the levers flex too much, weak plastic construction)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've got some monoplaners going spare - alas they are Mirage so probably not what you're after? I think you'll be after the D500 ones...

Back