1970's viking vision part

jon27hoad

Retro Newbie
hi there
I am restoring my granddads Viking vision race bike to but it back on the road. I looking for parts for the bike. the main part I am missing the crankset and chain.
it seems like a really nice bike judt needs to tlc as it been sat in a shed since my granddad past away.

I would like to try and get as much info on the pic as pos.

many thanks jonathan hoad

Here's the bike in question:

Welcome to the forum Jonathan. Could you please tell me what the gears are on this bike?

the gears on the bike are Shimano 105 Golden Arrow 170mm
Chainrings: Shimano 42, 52

if there is any wheels or pedals that any one knows of that would very very help full

I not sure what chain it would need yet it would be great help with any info that any one has got

many thanks Jonathan hoad

Any standard 6-7-8 speed chain will do, those designed for 9+ will be too narrow.

If you want wheels make sure the rear has the right hub for your cassette, easiest fix is to get a second hand wheel with hyperglide and get a new cassette along with new chainrings. That way the whole drive is being replaced- you don't want to mix your new chain with worn cogs.

I second the chain advice. However I doubt your wheels run a cassette more likely a freewheel. Depending on how period you want to keep it I would fit a brand new readily available freewheel and chain. Are you looking to replace the wheels entirely? Keep you eyes peeled for a nice old pair on here in the for sale section, and edit your wanted ad to reflect what you're looking for.

105 Golden Arrow ages the bike newer than I originally told you, think that was about in the early 80's, although what you quoted "170mm" and "chainrings" is the chainset not the gears.

I'd look for a 105 Golden Arrow or maybe a 600 Arabesque chainset from the same era to go on it or even something like an SR Apex like this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-SR-AP ... 58a1a3e472

Teeth on your new used chainset should be fine as long as they're not too pointy.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back