The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
This is not strictly and MTB or Road question but applies to both.

I have two interchangeable front cranks one 49T and one 48T given that the bike is a 5 speed 12-28 does the one less tooth make that much difference across the range or just on the climb or not? Anyway have fitted the 48.

can someone enlighten me?

Sticking this in the MTB section as well to see who is the most helpful and or articulate. :mrgreen:

Smaller chainring will give you a slightly lower gear range i.e. it would make a small difference to your speed pedalling flat-out, but make climbing a touch easier.

Thanks. I get that but would just the one tooth make it worth buying/supplying/changing rings?

Does an extra tooth ave more effect front or rear or the same?

Easy answer that is, quite easy!

missing_tooth_zps1ac33ccd.jpeg

o-SEXIEST-WOMEN-IN-THE-WORLD-facebook_zpsb584cfec.jpg

:facepalm:

Tremendous that Ian - made me laugh that one.

On a geared bike I can't believe it makes huge differences, but if we're talking single speed it's a whole different story. Just changed my rear sprocket which now gives me 91 gear inches from 85 on the old sprocket - possibly a tooth too far as getting it turned over isn't too good on the knees - that's by reducing one tooth and it's hugely noticeable.

As stated you may lose a fraction of speed in top gear, hills will be marginally easier.

It will make the difference between the Olympic podium or simply being relegated to tootling around Norfolk with a Carradice saddle bag. Choose wisely!

Nice. Wish I lived in Norfolk. A little hilly round here. Will have to choose routes carefully.

Back