French threaded steerer ??? Frame Identify ??

Ian Raleigh

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I've just got myself a nice freebie frame and its French so I do believe the headset thread
will be French threaded too, The guy who I got it off said an English threaded headset will
fit but will wobble slightly until its 'locked up'

Does anyone know if an English threaded headset will fit a French threaded steerer ??

Picture of the French frame is down a few posts!

Thanks in advance.

Re: French threaded steerer ???

I dont think it would work very well, but you could always try it and see, taking care not to damage any threads. If you need a French threaded headset let me k.ow as I have a couple spare :)

Hi Foz, I thought fitting an English threaded headset onto a French threaded steerer would be a no no!

I'm not even going to attempt to ruin a headset....So! How much would you sell one of you're headsets please ?

Not looking for a super high quality job, just something that looks fairly nice and does the job.

Thanks,
Ian.

Ian, I wasn't trying a hard sell! :oops: but since you're interested, let me know what stack height you need and I'll have a look! off the top of my head I know I have a VGC campag triomphe in french thread, and I think a shimano 600 too...

Andy

PM incoming Andy.

This is the French frame by the way! Its called a ''Cycles J Malet Saint Jorios''

My friend purchased the whole bike and stripped it for the groupset so I've got the frame off him...lol

I wonder if anyone can shed any light about this maker ?...unknown to me :oops:

The frame is really been put together to such a high quality it beggars belief :shock:

I have been told the frame was made from Reynolds 501 because the rider was an heavy chap!
Super Vitus drop-outs, eyeleted with narrow mudguard clearance.
Shot in rear stays.
Sloping fork crown.
Chain pip.
Chamfered BB shell [maybe for a Mavic bottom bracket.
Chroming is just brilliant!

Looks like its never had an head-badge or maybe it was a sticker which has long gone.

The groupset what was fitted to this frame was mainly if not all Mavic SSC!

Doing a google search I actually fount 'That' bike so don't jump in by putting up this link ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Racing-bike-5 ... 7675.l2557

frame007_zps695f43dc.jpg

frame012_zps65cd1208.jpg

frame011_zpsc3a09761.jpg

frame013_zps7d8ae527.jpg

frame009_zps8bb5d0d5.jpg

frame008_zpscad23f24.jpg

frame010_zpsbc6994b3.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
the thread pitch on both french and english is the same, its just the steerer tube that is smaller diameter for french. So you wouldnt damage it by threading it on. Movement on use may however damage the threads.
I got round this by wrapping the french steerer in insulation tape, real tight and then threading on the english headset and it worked a treat. However, you may not want to go the heath robinson way.

Latest posts

Back