Any idea on what it is please?

BikeWizard

Retro Newbie
Hi, I bought this old road bike tonight and was wondering if anyone out there could tell me what model it is or an approximate year of the bike. All I know is its a PUCH STEYR and I'm pretty sure the frame has been repainted. It has full length chrome forks, Dia Comp brakes, steel frame. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 579
I'm just adding another couple of pictures. Many thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 571
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 571
We sold Steyr-Daimler-Puch bikes in the late 70's much like the above. They weren't big on model names IIRC for the cheaper end. If you are riding it beware the "suicide" brake levers, a triumph of style over function.

Strangely enough, parents loved tem LOL

Shaun

The History Man":3l58t1sz said:
I remember those levers. What was the issue with them?

I think it is to do with the force of the leverage. The 'turkey wing' levers exert their leverage force near the pivot of the ordinary brake lever, which means they are much less powerful. Sort of the same principle as trying to open a door by pushing near the hinges.

The other problem was the length of the lever arm which meant that for six inches of travel of the lever the brake blocks moved 5mm.

Unless they were very well adjusted with the blocks close to the rims (and a very straight wheel) you could pull up on the upper levers and the blocks never reached the rims. Blooming nightmare to set up, hated them !! Manufacturers called them "GT Levers".......which was on the boot of the top Cortina's of the day LOL

As I mentioned, parents loved them because they could be operated off the drops. For some reason parents were worried about kids with their heads down running into parked cars...........with these levers they had a greater chance of not stopping at all :(

Shaun

PS Does the frame have a built in kickstand, a plate attached to the chainstays behind the bottom bracked ?

Hi guys, wow, thanks for all the replies. There is no kickstand bracket fitted to the frame. Just the usual round bar between the two rear triangles.

.............more upmarket Puch then :) their cheaper all purpose frames had a bracket for a kickstand LOL

Shaun

Lol. Yes I also have a 1975 Puch Touring something like a Gentlemans Bike and it does have the kickstand bracket. Although its only 3 speed it's one of the nicest riding bikes I have. Love getting out on it :)

Back