Someone on here rebuild my wheels?

Midlife

Retro Wizard
I'm looking for a pair of my wheels rebuilt......not worth a lot in money terms but mean a lot to me from a sentimental point of view.

They are the first wheels I bought brand new, mixture of Saturday work and paper round. Suzue large flange on Fiamme, couldn't afford anything more expensive but served me well throughout the 70's, initially as TT wheels on my Carlton Cobra and later for general use.

They still spin and the rims are straight but after 40 odd years I don't trust the 14-16 chrome spokes :)

I'm not after a cheap job and will quite happily pay the going rate.

Cheers

Shaun

OK found the wheels in the garage.

Pair of wheels, large flange, matching tubs.............check
2rc1kwz.jpg

Fiamme rim.......................check
548too.jpg

Training block to encourage "twiddling" .........check
zus2mb.jpg

35 year old Pirelli training tub..............check
2rfvuz4.jpg

Blimey, Campag hub...... where did that come from
6joahu.jpg

Wonder where the Suzue rear wheel is ? back to the garage

Shaun

Midlife":1tcj4s10 said:
Wonder where the Suzue rear wheel is ? back to the garage

Shaun

I remember spending a whole Saturday morning looking for a pair of Cinelli handlebars I thought I had. About 4 hours later I remembered I'd sold them :)

Shaun, Thats a junior road race block, I remember when I was in mid forties trying a 16 - 15 - 17 - 19 -21, for the thirds and juniors, and I always had a 53 chainring to make up for the small 6 ounce clements.

If you were 300 miles nearer you could have called in and I would have done them for you, if the fingers are still up to it.
Keith

Hi Keith...... crikey that jogs a few memories. You are right it's my rea road wheel from Junior days. Just counted and it's 17-21 close ratio Regina. No idea where the front is though.

Schoolboys had a gear of 76.2 which was a a 48 chainwheel and 15 cog on he back. Juniors were about 84 which was a 52 / 53 up front and either a 16 or a 17 at the back depending on who was judging and the wheels you had :)

Found the rear Suzue and not in good shape, will try and ressurect it.........
mah27b.jpg

The chair is a cheap and cheerful item and worth less than the wheel :)

Still need to find a wheelbuilder :D

Shaun

Shaun why don't you just give it a shot yourself? There are many great tutorials online, besides think of the satisfaction of rebuilding your first proper wheelset...

I have built wheels BITD and trued more than I can remember (here I have to give thanks to Bunny at Cliff Pratt Cycles) ....... I simply don't have the time any more :(

Shaun

Back